Sunday, May 15, 2011

Immune system, put your armor back on!

This week was the end of baseball and softball seasons, so I don't ever have to sweep up sunflower seeds again. Unless I work in the same place next year. Anyway, there's nothing interesting or glamorous about my job. Last night for softball, we had to spray the benches after picking up the garbage. It was against the U of U, so that contributed to large numbers, but in all my days cleaning up after softball, baseball, volleyball, gymnastics, and women's conference, I've never seen so much garbage. I don't know if softball spectators eat more, or if they're just too lazy to clean up after themselves. (That's not an unreasonable assumption, since softball is a lazy game.) Anyway, last night while the game was still going (or maybe had barely ended), I saw one of my coworkers from last fall when I worked at Distribution. He was there to see his niece play. I didn't get to talk to him as long as I would have liked, though.

Tuesday night's baseball clean was even more boring. The most interesting part was that I had to drag garbage cans to a certain place and turn them upside down for the summer. When I turned one of them over, I found this:It looks to me like this can once held something so hot that it melted the bottom of the can; this was the only one like this. I don't know what someone could have thrown away that was so hot. I just thought it was pretty cool.

After I came home on Tuesday night, as I was doing my pushups and situps, I noticed that my throat seemed kind of dry/sore, and that I had a bit of a cough.

The next day, I still had this condition, and I found that throughout the day I was tired. I'm always tired, but usually not that tired. It wasn't even so much that I was tired, it was just that my head felt like it didn't want to see or do anything. I even felt a little achy. I went to institute, and when I was walking home, I found myself shivering. I was just wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and it was a little chilly, but it still wasn't shiver-worthy chilly. When I got home, I was so achy and my head was so heavy that I went to bed three hours early. Now, no matter when I go to bed, I cannot fall asleep before midnight. I can be tired all day and falling asleep, even at seven or eight in the evening, but when I go to bed, I can't fall asleep. This was the case Wednesday night. But I wasn't too worried because I wasn't trying to fall asleep, I just didn't want to do anything. After two hours or so of lying in the dark, I figured I had rested long enough and I wasn't falling asleep anytime soon, so I got up, talked to my roommates, and read for a little bit.

Now, all this achy, tired business had me quite worried. Ever since I got my tonsils out at age thirteen, I have been blessed with a splendid immune system. I rarely get sick, and when I do, it only consists of a sore/dry throat and maybe a cough. I have never had the flu in my life, even though there are only a few times when I've had flu shots. When I do get sick, it's always in the winter. The combination of the fact that it is May and that all these symptoms are so unusual for me, I was worried that my immune system was on vacation or, worse, dead.

Of course, there was typical worrying about being uncomfortable and missing school and infecting other people and all that, but it was my immune system that worried me the most.

But I woke up Thursday feeling remarkably better, and I have continued to get better, although I'm still a little stuffy with a bit of a sore throat. I was delighted to figure out that my immune system was not in immunity heaven or at the beach. It was just a little distracted. I can still quite confidently say "I don't get sick." (That might not be 100% true, but it's 90% true. Who knows, all of my May sickness may simply be the result of excess pollen.)

Thank you for reading another tedious post!

1 comment:

  1. This is Hannah, your former-FHE sister. Yes, I stalk your blog. But, hey, look on the bright side. Maybe you got ebola or tuberculosis or typhoid or typhus or something extreme like that, and your immune system is so epic that you only felt tired for twelve hours. If that were the case, I think we can still call it super-hero strength.

    ReplyDelete