Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tests, an eight-year-old, and presidents

Let's see, what happened this week?

First, there was testing. On Wednesday I got a test back that I had taken the previous Friday for my archaeology class. It wasn't a hard test and the professor is lenient (which was helpful when it came to the short answers), but I was still surprised I got 100, because there were some that were just guesses. I also took a test for my history class. It was entirely short answer and essay. The professor said the average time to take it is 90 minutes, but the longest was four hours. It took me a little over three hours. The essays were pretty terrible. I just hope it was decent.

I also got my hopes up about getting my AC fixed. The AC man told me my landlord had given him a key to get in so I didn't need to be there. I went home on Friday, when he was coming. Then he called me and said the landlord had given him the wrong key, but not only that, the roof access, where he would also need to work, was locked. That part has nothing to do with my landlord. So even if he had the right key, he couldn't have fixed it.

As I mentioned, I went home. It was my niece's birthday. Allie turned eight. At eight she's not as hilarious as she was as a toddler--but she still says some funny things:
  • She wanted to play Apples to Apples. Which is strange because she doesn't really get what's going on. Anyway, when it was her turn to be the judge, her green card was "Nasty." Someone put "AIDS." She picked a different card, and then shortly after said, "I was going to pick AIDS but I had to pick this one. 'Cause we all know what that's like." My sister and cousin and I were all laughing hysterically, as quietly as possible.
  • I discovered an entertaining website called "Not Always Right." I was reading this, and came across this not-so-funny comic strip:

    I had been reading some of the anecdotes aloud to my mom, and Allie insisted that I read this to her because it was funny. I told her, "I don't think you get it." So she told her herself. I still don't think she gets it. At least, I hope not.
  • I turned on Hogan's Heroes. She said to me, "I wish this were Pollyanna." Then in the episode they brought in a small Nazi flag, complete with the swastika. She said something like, "I knew they were in another country. Australia!" This made me laugh, so she "corrected" herself: "Austria!" My mom caught on that she had seen the Nazi flag on The Sound of Music--hence thinking it was Austria's flag.
  • I was attempting to play "Linus and Lucy" on the piano. I thought I was doing reasonably well with just the left hand, but then I heard her say, "Mark you need to fix that do better or you'll need to take piano lessons, too!"
I was also amused when I looked at the cover for the August issue of The Friend. It has a bunch of primary-kid drawings of Thomas S. Monson on the cover. But one of them doesn't look so much like the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

Rather, I think it looks more like the President of the United States of America:
I posted this on the Seen @ BYU Facebook page, even though I didn't see it at BYU ;)

Hopefully the next time I blog, I will do it in an air-conditioned apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment