Sunday, August 7, 2011

River of Tears

When I was on my mission, I of course heard of the popular LDS musicians we were allowed to listen to. Mindy Gledhill. Jessie Clark Funk. The Nashville Tribute Band. But there was one song I thought stood out from the rest, "It Passes All My Understanding," and I didn't understand why it, or the artist, wasn't more popular. I'd also heard another one of her songs, "Where Faith Lives," and decided that I liked her enough to get her music if I ever found out who it was. Well, I had a companion who bought a compilation CD and I found out that the name of the artist was Cherie Call. So I wrote home, asking for a Cherie Call CD with the song "It Passes All My Understanding." So my mom sent me the album "He Gives Flowers to Everyone." This became an instant favorite of mine. When I had my last companion, I heard another song, "Somebody Else's Shoes," (which coincidentally just popped up on my Sunday shuffle playlist) which I also had to have. So on the second day of the last month of my mission, I bought her album "The Ocean in Me," which I grew to love even more than the one I already had.

To make a long story short, I now have all seven Cherie Call albums (the first two non-religious, the last five all Christian-themed), and got my mom hooked on her too. So this week I met my parents at the American Fork amphitheater to see Cherie Call and Sam Payne. (Sam Payne is now Cherie Call's usual musical partner--we don't like him as much. We first saw them sing together on New Year's Eve on Temple Square.) Cherie sang seven songs, I believe: "River of Tears," "Walk You Through the Night," "One Good Woman," "Invincible," "Photographs," "Big Yellow Moon," and "Memphis." After the concert I bought her latest album, "Grace," which was the only one I didn't have for myself (although I had ripped my mom's copy to my computer--but it's all legal now that I have my own copy!), and my mom wanted her to sign my copy. I posted a video of her singing "Big Yellow Moon" on Facebook, but I don't know if anyone watched it so here it is again:

She calls this a "homeless song" because it is not on any album and it's not part of any project she's working on. She now tends to do religious music, but this is not a religious song. I for one hope she releases it at some point, because I love it! You can listen to samples of her music at cheriecall.com.

I also had the opportunity yesterday to baptize my niece, Allie. We took few pictures (and none in white :( , except for the illicit ones my cousin April took while we were actually in the font! :0 ) and my memory card adapter decided not to work anyway. I never physically baptized someone on my mission. Last fall in my singles ward I went to do baptisms for the dead and they asked me to perform the proxy baptisms. So this was my first time baptizing a living person. Allie was tearful the whole time in the chapel beforehand, and then especially right before getting in the water. My mom thinks she has seen all the crybaby testimonies and that she thinks that's what you're supposed to do in spiritual situations. I just think she was nervous. As we were walking to the font, we were a little unorganized, and my brother-in-law Matt asked if we were supposed to be walking that way. I said "I don't know." Then he asked if it mattered. He's not a member, so it made me realize that he wouldn't know if it mattered or not. Fortunately it didn't.

I only had to dunk her once. My dad confirmed her. I felt privileged, indeed, to be worthy of the Priesthood to perform the ordinance. I'm glad she is an example of the believers and has followed our Lord and our Savior down into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment