Sunday, November 24, 2013

The blessing and curse of technology

On Monday, I woke up early to go to campus, because on Friday I had left my flash drive in a computer classroom. I realized I had left it there an hour later, and when I went back, the room was locked. I was sure that it would still be there on Monday morning, before classes started--but it wasn't! I made frantic searches to various rooms in the JKB, and when none of them turned it up, I went over to the Wilk. They didn't have it either. I asked my professor that afternoon if she had seen it. She hadn't, but she suggested I ask the writing center. They didn't have it either, but they took my email in case they did.

The next day, I got the long-awaited email saying they had found it. That flash drive had a lot of homework, a lot of work files, and other files I intend to use again. I guess I could have used cloud storage, but a flash drive is more convenient for me--as long as I don't lose it. It's amazing how so much important stuff depends on that little piece of plastic and metal!

That's the world we live in. Technology is both a blessing and a curse.

Last week I got a smart phone, and this week I have been trying to get used to it. I had had my previous phone for four years. I had no problem with it, except that it didn't always charge right. Often when I charged it, it would end up with less battery than when I started. I couldn't leave it charging overnight, because invariably my phone would be dead in the morning, even though it was plugged in. So it was time for a new one. But I get a little sad thinking about that one. It was the first cellphone I ever had! I got it right after I got back from my mission, and it has served me for the past four years. I still use it as my alarm clock because I can't say goodbye.

I'm not sure what to think of my new phone. It is nice to be able to check my email or pull in people's church records without going to a computer. But there are a few things that annoy me about it. It is harder to check my texts. It is harder to text, because the keyboard is wider. I have to charge it a lot more--and considering that charging was the main problem with my old one, I'm not sure the new one's necessarily an improvement. I know I'll get used to it--but I still have to get used to it. New technological advances may be advances in some ways, but they're not better in all ways.

On Monday night, we had an FHE in which we played MarioKart on the N64. I never had an N64 growing up. It came out when I was in second grade, and I wanted one really badly. My brother says that he told me that it was hard, and then I didn't want one anymore. But I never really played one. I've played MarioKart on the Wii at my brother's house, and wasn't very good. I was even worse on the 64. I lost every time. People could tell which one was me because I was the last one.

And then the next day someone asked me if I'm a gamer. The answer, of course, is no. He said I seemed like a gamer. But I wondered why he thought that. Do I really still seem that nerdy? I am pretty quiet, which I guess is a little nerdy in its own right, and because I'm quiet people don't get to know me very well. But I was wearing my most fashionable pants and shoes that day! Maybe it's my long-ish hair. But I don't like talking about that.

This week I had to study for a groundwater test. I set up a Google doc so we could study together as a class. I did pretty well on the last test, so I wasn't too worried about this one.

I have never felt so terrible about a test. I don't know my score, but I'm pretty sure I failed. I've never failed a test before, unless you count the AP tests on which I only got 2s. I had memorized a bunch of equations and variables, but when I got to the test, I didn't know what to do with them. It was awful. For me, a C or a D is failing, but I'm pretty sure that this will be a genuine F. I even wrote that on the front. I left so much blank. For some reason, what bothers me most about doing so poorly is wondering what the professor will think of me. Early in the semester, he wondered if another girl was really going to be taking the class, since she wasn't a geology major. I'm not a geology major either, so what does he think of me? Hopefully I'll be able to salvage my grade, but it's pretty unlikely I'll get a 4.0 this semester (which I only did once during a full semester).

But I don't have to think about groundwater until after Thanksgiving. Or swimming, either. But I like my swimming class. That's one class I'll be sad to have end. That and my capstone corpus linguistics class. I was expecting that a class called "The Senior Course" would be difficult--but it was actually my easiest (except for swimming for non-swimmers).

I'm thankful for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment