Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pâques

Well, this was the week I found out what I'm doing for spring.

And I'm staying in Provo!

My boss told me that he learned that I don't need to work on site, since I'm just an intern, and that it has worked well for him to just have me work remotely. He also said that I may need to work with some people in Provo--so if I'm living in Provo, it will make that easy.

Provo really is funnest (yes, a word) in spring and summer, what with Rooftop Concerts, pool parties, and a general laid-back attitude. This may be my last spring and summer in Provo, so I'm excited for it.

I just hope I don't get bored out of my mind working full time.

Monday night, I was up late, and then I got to see the very beginning of the lunar eclipse. Then my roommate Chad woke me up to look at it when it peaked. So I saw it all red. But I was mostly asleep, so when I woke up the next morning, I was like, "Oh yeah, I did see the eclipse last night." I got to see one of those back in 2011, when I was at an early-morning work shift.

On Tuesday, I went to my very last class ever. I gave a presentation about global warming in French--le réchauffement global--and then my professor sent me a very nice email about my presentation and how well I had done.

Then on Tuesday night, I went to the Andy Grammer concert on Tuesday. Apparently a long time ago BYU did really big concerts in the Marriott Center with really big musicians, like the Carpenters. Now they don't do that, so Andy Grammer ("Fine By Me," "Keep Your Head Up") in the Wilk ballroom is the closest thing. He's a talented singer, but I generally don't like male pop stars as much as female pop stars. I guess I associate acoustic guitars and male singers with John Mayer d-bag music. At one point, he was singing Macklemore's "Thrift Shop," and he was quite amused when everyone in unison sang "This is freaking awesome."

On Wednesday my ward did a bonfire, and I took Peeps Bunnies to roast. Some African girls wanted to try them, since they'd never had them. Later I saw each bunny with one ear bitten off, lying in the garbage. I guess if you didn't grow up with them you might not like them.

On Thursday morning, I helped out at the French language fair. That's when high school and junior high students from all over the state come and engage in various French-language activities and competitions. I was one of the people in charge of la gare, the train station. Basically the kids had to pretend they wanted to go someplace and we would ask them about what accommodations they wanted. It was funny to mimic smoking when they didn't understand fumeur ou non-fumeur. I participated in this back when I was in high school, and it was fun to be on the other side.

Then on Friday, I had my very last final. Ever. I don't know how I did on the first part; I felt like I couldn't explain why I was giving the answers I was. The second part was an essay, and one of the topics to choose from was gun control, and luckily I was able to make it very similar to the gun control blog post I made last year.

Then as I was packing up to go home for Easter weekend, I realized something shocking: I never have to study again. Last night the sister missionaries visited us to talk to the Primary president (my mom), and then before they left one of them asked me if I'm ready to be done with BYU. I'm a little burned out from schoolwork, but I'm not ready to be done with the BYU lifestyle--hence the reason I'm glad to stay in Provo.

With it being Easter, everyone has been expressing their testimony of Jesus Christ. I agree with James, that your belief in Christ is not helpful if you don't do anything with it. And I think Mormons are pretty good about that--I met lots of people on my mission who hated our church but said Mormons are good people. Which is in direct contrast to what Jesus said about men gathering figs of thistles. Regardless of your beliefs, only good can come from emulating the man who said "Cast the beam out of thine own eye" and "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them."

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment