Sunday, November 15, 2015

It snew a little.

Let's see...what happened this week? It wasn't very interesting.

It snowed. Or it snew. I once had a linguistics professor say that his six-year-old said it snew--and then I had a twenty-seven-year-old roommate who said the same thing (and immediately realized what he had said).

When I check the news, it is the weather that has the most impact on my life, impacting what I wear, how I drive, and what activities I do. But years, or even months or even weeks, from now, the weather means practically nothing.

What confused me is that we didn't have a lot of snow, and it wasn't that cold, yet there's still a lot of snow around. I went trail running for an hour and twenty-eight minutes and passed lots of snow. Fortunately I went where it wasn't too muddy.

I also went to the symphony and opera with a friend. The opera was a French opera, L'Enfant et les Sortilèges, and it was a rather silly show yet had serious opera singing. It was bizarre.

Opera singing is OK in operas, but outside of operas it's not good. I think it's very much an Emperor's New Clothes situation. No one likes it, but they know it's supposed to be fancy and sophisticated, so they don't want to seem plebeian by saying they don't like it. I hate it when the MoTab has operatic guests, because the only people who like them are the musical bigwigs who have been told to like it.

There were probably more eventful things this week, but I can't remember them at the moment. I'm blogging at someone else's house because our power is out.

***

Pumpkinundation Roundup isn't that big this week.

 I had a pumpkin cake donut from a grocery store at an event. It was a typical cake donut, which isn't a bad thing.

 This isn't a ghost, but my hand holding a sample piece of Kneaders pumpkin bread. It was pretty good.

 This Kneaders gingerbread turkey doesn't belong here, except that it's a vehicle for candy corn. I think this was Jelly Belly candy corn, because it was smooth and a little smaller. Gingerbread is normally a Christmas thing, but it's appropriate for Thanksgiving when it has a turkey shape. It tasted like a ginger snap. This is part of why I consider candy corn a Thanksgiving candy, because it shows up in a lot of crafty turkey desserts.

 When I was younger, I loved these little "pies." Of all the pumpkin things there are, you'd expect that this Franz Baker Shoppe Pumpkin Filled Pie would have pumpkin in it, right? Well, this was pumpkin flavored. There's no pumpkin in it. It doesn't taste like pumpkin. It doesn't look like pumpkin. It doesn't taste that good. What's the point?

 Atlantis Burger makes these pumpkin eggnog shakes. I think they just put pumpkin-flavored eggnog in it, not pumpkin and eggnog. It's mainly eggnog, meaning I feel a little guilty eating it in October or November.

This QuestBar Pumpkin Pie Bar tastes like a protein bar, not pumpkin pie. But it does have a pretty orange coating (which doesn't show up in the picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment