Sunday, June 12, 2016

June attention hogs

During the month of June, there are lots of things that compete for my attention.

When Utah's lovely, historic state flower is out in abundance, how can you not spend time with it? And to think I'd never even seen a sego lily until a year ago. June 14, 2015, to be exact. (I always thought that I'd seen one in September 2000, but looking back I doubt that, because they don't last until September.)





However, along with beautiful sego lilies, June is the month I selected to pick horrendous goathead plants, and it's hard to have enough time for both of them. I only picked goatheads twice this week.

Oh, by the way, here is a cat in a garden. Because cats.

However, the biggest attention hog this week is my three nephews: Preston (11), Franklin (8), and Nathaniel (6). (Nathaniel calls his brothers "Pleston" and "Flanklin.") I have been spending a lot of time with them, and I will be spending even more time with them this week. As they have gotten older, they have become better behaved and easier to watch. Well, Nathaniel hasn't, but he was practically perfect to begin with. These kids are half Chinese (well, Taiwanese), both biologically and culturally--they love eating seaweed, which I don't care to try again. They are also into gross-out jokes, which was not how I grew up. But I want to corrupt them into becoming like me. It's a longshot, but I'll see what I can do. They're cute kids. Think how awesome they'd be if they were little versions of me!

While my nephews were jumping on the tramp at my sister's house, my sister-in-law and I picked cherries from my sister's tree. I'm pretending there aren't any worms in them. (Preston asked me how worms climb from the ground up trees into cherries. Oh, the ambiguities of the word worm! At least it doesn't mean snake, dragon, or pus, like wyrm did in Old English.)

With these cherries, I made a cherry-chocolate "sorbet," which wasn't great (and had a very vague recipe), and I made a cherry crisp, which was not popular with the boys. I ate about half of the pan myself, mostly for the crust. (Sometimes I get a little dessert starved, since I only eat seasonal desserts, but "seasonal" includes things made with fresh fruits that I pick myself.)

When I came home from a long day of church meetings, my nephews had strung up a bunch of patriotic balloons. They're doing better than I am, because I don't have most of my Memorial Day/Flag Day/Independence Day/Pioneer Day decorations up yet.

Last night I had another dream about Lady Gaga at church. You'd be surprised how often that happens.

***

Wait! Wait for me! I posted this but forgot something. I have a family history calling, and at one point today I looked at my phone when I got a one-word response from my high councilman over family history. [Insert crying-while-laughing emoji]




I decided not to share with you the picture of the dead bunny I found in our backyard. You're welcome. [Insert sad-face emoji]

No comments:

Post a Comment