Sunday, August 7, 2016

Fruit Games

It's August now. You know what that means? Time to tell you all about how I used to hate August but I don't anymore! I don't really like August's heat or lack of holidays, or that all my insecurities were taunting me this week--but I do love August's thunderstorms and laid back atmosphere. Sure beats January.

Once upon a time I was a missionary, and my favorite form of humor was scriptures taken out of context. This one sums up this time of year quite well:
Thus hath the Lord God shewed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit.
In mid to late July, and lasting into August, we always have apricots. I think this year we have an unusually high number. They're not as sweet this year, but they're still good to put in other things. So far we have had apricot crisp, apricot omelets, apricot jam, apricot salsa, and apricot meringue pie.
(At this time of year, the only desserty things I can have are popsicles and their cousins, and things made with our own fruit.) Unfortunately, I have to park under the apricot tree, resulting in a very messy car.

In August, our plums turn ripe. Of all our free-growing plants, the plums are best for simply eating. I like grapes more for juice, but the plums are the best by themselves. This year's crop seems to be unusually good (unlike the apricots). I don't know whether I'll make anything with them simply because they're so wonderful plain.

Now, we are not good farmers, gardeners, or hipsters, so we aren't good at growing things. We have a little vegetable garden in the back that's not doing very well (thanks in part to those pesky deer). So I'm grateful that these trees just take care of themselves and we don't have to do anything, except maybe water the lawn.

The Olympics started this week. It seems ironic to me that the summer Olympics take place in a place where it's winter. It makes me feel bad for the southern hemisphere. I mean, why do the summer Olympics have to take place in July or August? Why can't they take place in January in South America, especially since they only happen every four years (two if you count Winter)?

I halfheartedly watch the Olympics, mostly because I feel it's my patriotic duty to do so. I don't watch sports any other time. Even the worst Olympian could beat me in any event, winter or summer.

It got me thinking about being American. In many ways I do feel a bit xenophobic. I mean, if China does well at something, I think, "Yeah, but they're communists." If Mexico does something well, I think, "Yeah, but they have a massive drug problem." Sometimes I'm a terrible human being. But I really do think the United States of America is the best country around.

But I don't feel like I can say I'm proud to be American. I can be proud of miles I run or books I author, but being American for me isn't an accomplishment. I never chose to be American, at least not that I can recall. The only people who chose to be Americans are immigrants.

And why should I be proud when Americans win Olympic events? I didn't do anything to make them win. No effort on my part. None. If I were an American's coach or friend, then I might feel proud, but not as an idle spectator. While the athletes were off training their guts out, I was eating cookies and wasting time on the internet. (I have found more satisfaction in life the less time I've spent on the internet.)

There's also the issue that we make it easy to be a good athlete. (Well, not easy, but more likely.) Sure, we have the best swimmer in the world. But we are the land of opportunity. I guess it would be much more impressive if someone from some poverty-stricken third-world country won. While I was getting my tires changed yesterday, I watched the beach volleyball game between the U.S. and Qatar. America was much better than Qatar. And those playing from Qatar weren't even native Qataris. One was from Brazil and one was from Africa (Google's letting me down on the country). If Qatar were actually good, it would be astounding. But America being better? Meh.

But I love America. Even if I did nothing about it.

*The title from my post is an allusion to Google's Doodle Fruit Games, which I thought was appropriate because this blog was about fruit and the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment