Sunday, October 15, 2017

13.1

Yesterday I ran my first half marathon!

Some people put running a half marathon on their bucket list and then train for it. That wasn't the case for me. I do a lot of trail running just for fun, and I was at the point where I thought, "You know, I think I'm in good enough shape that I could do a half marathon." So, just a week before the race, I signed up for the Haunted Half Marathon in SLC. Last May I did a twelve-mile trail run, but that was six miles up and six down, and I was totally exhausted at the end. That was the longest I had ever run. My runs haven't been as long in the last few months; a few weeks ago I ran over nine miles (with ups and downs), but it wasn't the eleven I've been doing.

Since it was a costumed race, I wore my Vector costume. Two years ago, I got an orange warm-up suit (not pajamas!) so I could be Vector from Despicable Me, because there are few characters who wear glasses. Little did I know that that costume would be a perfect costume for a half marathon on a chilly October morning. A few people complimented it, and one person said, "I don't mean to be rude, but you look just like him."

Early in the morning, we loaded up buses to shuttle up to the starting point at Emigration Canyon. I didn't sleep well, because I never do when I know I have to get up early, even when I'm secure knowing that my alarm is set. It was a rainy, cool morning, and when we got on the buses, they told us it was snowy and windy up the canyon. They kept the buses down in Sugar House (not Failureville ;) ) for a bit, and then once we got up the canyon, they let us stay on the bus. Once it was time to get off, I was really appreciative that they let us stay on. It was freezing. So cold. The temperature wasn't too bad, but that wind was unpleasant. But there was a pioneer monument up there, and I guess the pioneers went through a lot worse. It had snowed about an inch, and with the vehicles on the road, it had formed some ice. It wasn't very slippery ice, but still, ice is my arch nemesis. A lot of the others there were serious runners, with all the best gear and lots of past races under their belts. I wondered: Am I a serious runner that I can do this running without worrying about all those things they worry about? Or am I not a serious runner because I don't know anything about them? They had energy gels at the starting line, which I had never had before. I was not impressed.

The first mile went by quickly. Not literally, but it seemed quick, because we were all going slow because of the ice, so it was easy. At every mile post, they had skeletons with posters: "Runners don't die, they just smell like it"; "Would you run faster if we told you there was a clown behind you?"; "Your ten-mile warmup is over, time for the 5k," "Run like there's a hot guy in front of you and a creepy guy behind you."

I think about mile 3 I had gotten into my stride and it seemed like, "OK, I can do this." I even declined water at the 3-mile mark, though I got Powerade at all the other aid stations.

I had to take bathroom breaks at miles 7 and 9, which slowed down my time, especially because there were lines, but it wasn't too bad. It was a pleasant, lovely morning.

Once I got past mile 9, though, it finally got tough. That was when the course quit going downhill and got flat. But I don't think that was really the issue. That's just where my legs got sore, and I got really hungry. Should I have taken one of those weird energy gels they gave out back at mile 7? I wondered. But that was only 100 calories, so I don't know if it would have made a difference.

About mile 10, I saw an orange cat with no tail, so I let out my requisite "aww!" I considered petting it, but I was still being timed, and a little girl was already petting it anyway.

At mile 11, though I was sore, I thought, "Only two miles. I can totally do this." And once I got to mile 12, my family was there to cheer me on.

Strangely, my last mile was my second fastest, even though it was the only one that was slightly uphill. When I saw how close I was to the finish line, I sped up and made it through. I did it! They gave me a nice finisher's medal.

At the finish line they were giving out Papa John's pizza. Pizza used to be my favorite food, but more recently my palate has shifted away from greasy things to yummy cooked veggies. Nevertheless, as I crossed that finish line, I was like, "Give me some of that cheesy, gooey, carbolicious goodness!"

Afterward, my head hurt. I don't know if it was all the running, or the lack of sleep, or something else. Once in a while, I will get a weird thing where I have a hard time focusing my eyes, like there are blank spots in my vision, and then I get a headache. I experienced that weird vision starting around mile 8, so maybe that was it? I don't know.

Today I'm pretty sore, and I feel ridiculous walking downstairs. I'm honestly more sore than I expected, because after my nine-mile run a few weeks ago, I wasn't really sore at all. This was only four more miles.

Will I do another half marathon sometime? Very possibly.

At this point, though, a full marathon still sounds just awful. See, I don't like doing hard things. I only do things that are a little hard until they become easy for me. But if I get to the point when I'm running 20+ miles just for fun, then maybe I'd consider a full marathon.

***
I'm a bit more justified doing pumpkinundation roundup since I can run thirteen miles. This week, though, I did think to myself, "What am I doing with my life?!" Last year I extended pumpkinundation roundup through Christmas, but this year I think I'll only do it through Thanksgiving, for my own health.
Kneaders pumpkin pie is a typical pumpkin pie, though I like the little leaf cutout on top. 8/10.

 Kodiak Cakes Pumpkin Dark Chocolate Minute Muffins feel more indulgent than they probably are, though I found this time all the chocolate settled to the bottom. In the past, I've made these with water, but this time I used milk. I really liked it. It only takes a minute in the microwave. 8/10.

 A Roxberry Pumpkin Bash Smoothie probably isn't a healthy lunch, but it sure is tasty and pumpkiny. 9/10.

 Nature's Path Pumpkin Seed + Flax Granola is decent. It's not very pumpkiny, but it's also not meant to be. 6/10.

 In February, they changed the vending machines at work, but they still sell the Dunford Bakers Calley's Favorites Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. It's hard to go wrong with this kind of cookie, though in large quantities it can get a little cakey--I'm glad there's chocolate to break it up. 8/10.

 This Red Button Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Ice Cream is the first I've had of this local brand. It has little soft crust parts. I can taste the cheesecake but not the pumpkin, even though it's in there. It's still good as ice cream. 7/10.

 Another locally made item is Stephen's Pumpkin Spice Gourmet Hot Cocoa. I find that often my mind reminisces on the first time I had a particular product. I think I first had it after I got home from my mission in 2009, but I mostly remember the fall of 2013, when I would make it before watching my nightly Halloween TV episodes. It's all right. 6/10.

 I'm pretty sure this Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Spice Donut is the first time I've been to Dunkin Donuts. I love the color, and it's hard to go wrong with a donut. Yes, that's the way I spell it. 9/10.

 These bulk Sprouts Pumpkin Spice Pretzels are tasty. 7/10.

 Pepperidge Farm Pumpkin Spice Swirl Bread is yummy. Way better than typical raisin bread. 7/10.

 I first had Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts in 2013. These are seriously one of the best flavors, so I get them every year. Think brown sugar and cinnamon, but better. 10/10. (Sugar Cookie at Christmas is my favorite, though.)

 Archer Farms Candy Corn Trail Mix has some random stuff in it: honey-roasted peanuts, candy corn, raisins, white chocolate pretzel balls. It's good. 7/10.

 Pirouline Pumpkin Spice Crème Filled Wafers are a weird off-brand product from Big Lots. The filling is a white confection with spices. 6/10.

 Nature's Path Pumpkin Spice with Chia oatmeal is kind of bland, and not very pumpkiny, but I'm not big on oatmeal anyway. 4/10.

 Pumpkin Spice Oreos are great. One of their more sophisticated flavors. 9/10.

 Sprouts Pumpkin Snaps are basically ginger snaps with pumpkin. I like them, but crunchy, crispy cookies aren't my preferred texture. 7/10.

 Neilsen's Pumpkin Frozen Custard is great, though I find that it's hard to taste the flavor after too much of any frozen dairy product. 8/10.

 Nature's Path Pumpkin Raisin Crunch Cereal is OK. All I could notice was how chewy the raisins were. I don't like spending that much time chewing. 6/10.

 We actually bought this Krusteaz Pumpkin Spice Quick Bread Mix last fall and still had it in the cupboard. I don't think we had it in waffles before, and it didn't turn out perfect. I think the mix is fine, though. 7/10.

Not technically a pumpkin item, but I want to show you this Argentinean butternut squash soup I made. It has squash, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and dried apricots. Even my squash-hating mother liked it. 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment