Sunday, January 31, 2021

Catch 22s

 I try to choose the right and do good things. But sometimes it is literally impossible to do everything good.

During this pandemic, we are told we should (1) avoid dining in restaurants, in order to stop the spread of the virus; (2) support local businesses, including restaurants; and (3) avoid single-use plastic. (Well, this last one is all the time, not just in a pandemic.) But since so many restaurants use plastic containers and plastic utensils, it is only possible to do two of those three things. If I dine at a restaurant, I am doing 2 and 3 but not 1. If I get takeout, I am doing 1 and 2 but not 3. And if I don't eat out, I am doing 1 and 3 but not 2. 

Often, I will specifically tell them that I don't need a spoon or a straw (which can be a little awkward), yet they still give them to me. It drives me crazy! I feel so guilty using plastic! (Seriously, how do people live with themselves when they drink bottled water?) I went to Bahama Buck's yesterday and told them I didn't need a spoon or a little umbrella. But since the person filling my order was not the one taking my order, I still ended up with a spoon and an umbrella. The umbrella is not plastic at least, but it's entirely wasteful because it doesn't even serve a purpose. (It wasn't even raining!)

But this is not the only time I feel like there are opposing things I should be doing that are good. While I'm in school, my exercising has been reduced (at least in the winter). It is a little comforting to know that no matter what I do (homework or exercise), I'm doing something good. 

But these are not the only examples. Here are many ways that I feel conflicted in trying to do the right thing:

Reduce, reuse, recycle BUT Don’t hoard. Declutter.

Use plants that don’t use much water BUT Grow your own garden to reduce transportation.

Don’t let your money burn a hole in your pocket BUT A penny saved is a penny earned/Save for a rainy day.

Help other people BUT Take care of yourself first.

Help other people BUT Don’t enable other people.

Don’t judge people or jump to conclusions BUT If something seems suspicious, report it.

Replace incandescent Christmas bulbs with energy-efficient LEDs BUT It’s wasteful to replace Christmas lights.

Be friends with everyone, including those who are different from you BUT Be friends with people who support you and your values; don’t spend time with toxic people.

(I know I will think of more examples after I post this.)

Then, of course, there are all the foods and nutrients that are either good or bad, depending on who you ask (and depending on whether they make money from them): wheat, milk, eggs, meat, fats, sugar, chocolate, potatoes, corn, carbs, etc.

I know there is a balance between all these conflicting ideas, but it can be hard to find that balance.

It is distressing to know that no matter my efforts, I'm not doing everything right. But at least I'm probably doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment