Sunday, February 28, 2021

Every Street

 As I have mentioned in this blog, I have tried to go running on every street in North Salt Lake. And I completed it this week!

Since I have visited every county in Utah, and every city in Davis County, I had often considered going on every street in NSL. Then in December, I saw a news story about a man who ran on every street in Salt Lake in 2020. So I decided that NSL was a good goal. The idea was to finish every street by the end of 2021, but I didn't have to revisit streets I had already been on. I really began taking this more seriously in December, and I printed off this map just before Christmas.


I will specify that I only ran on public streets, which I define as streets with green NSL signs. If it has a blue NSL sign, or a private sign, it doesn't count as a public street. This means I didn't run in mobile home parks or in many apartment complexes. (However, some apartment complexes and townhomes did have green signs, so I did run in them, even though they might have been private roads.) Some of the private roads are gated, so I couldn't do all of them anyway, and others feel more like driveways or parking lots, so I feel like I'm trespassing.

I also didn't run on freeways (I-15, I-215, Legacy Parkway), for obvious reasons.

I ran to most of the streets from my house, but I did drive down to Foxboro for many of the streets there, usually after it snowed (since they don't have as much snow down there).

And now, I'm relieved it's over!

I don't like running to the western part of NSL. I have to wait at several traffic lights and railroads. And if I run to the western part, it means that the hardest part of my run is at the end when I run home uphill. 

I don't like running with the busy traffic on Highway 89 and Redwood Road.

Also, I hate running where there aren't sidewalks, and the industrial area of NSL has few sidewalks. On Center Street, east of Highway 89, the sidewalk is only on the north side of the street; but west of I-15, it's only on the south side. It's annoying to have to cross.

But it has been fun to learn more about my city. For example, I often see signs for Shamrock Plumbing, and now I know where it is. It's been fun to see all the churches I didn't know about. 

This experience has also helped me with my other North Salt Lake bucket lists. I visited a few Foxboro parks I hadn't been to, and it's my goal to go to all of NSL's parks. (I think I have one left.) And I noticed we have a Domino's Pizza because I ran past it. (Of all the pizza places, Domino's is literally my least favorite!) It's my goal to visit every restaurant in NSL; I think there's one I still have to go to that's only open in the summer.

But now that it's over, I can stick to the routes that I enjoy in the eastern part of NSL and Bountiful. And tomorrow is March, which is usually the month when I can hit the trails again. And I will also need to budget my time differently from now on, because I have some exciting developments where I will be making money again.

No comments:

Post a Comment