Sunday, September 18, 2011

Cinnamon and blue

I worked a lot this week. On Friday I worked 10 and a half hours--all of it overtime. I'm going to have a pretty nice paycheck. I start work at 7:00 a.m. each day, and I think the earliest I got off this week was 4:30 p.m. The latest was Wednesday, when I got off around 7 or 7:30. Because this is such an awesome job, they got donuts for those of us who stayed so late on Wednesday, and I could actually eat some, since they had fall sprinkles on them and I started the Halloween season on Thursday.

On Wednesday evening, my two coworkers who had also stuck around all day and I were stuffing envelopes. When we send off envelopes, we put them in different color totes, depending on the kind of order it is--distribution store and urgent orders in red totes, international orders in blue totes, and normal orders in yellow totes. One of my coworkers, Michelle, went to get a tote. When she came back, she said, "We're sendin' 'em in blue." I misheard her, and thought she said "synonym," but then I realized that didn't make sense, so I determined she must have said "We're cinnamon and blue," cinnamon meaning red. Since many of my coworkers were decked out all week for the rivalry, I thought she was referring to our shirts--she was wearing a red SUU shirt, and I was wearing--wait, I was wearing a black shirt. Then she said, "'Cause I couldn't find any yellow totes." Then I realized she was talking about the totes. I didn't actually see her bring the tote over, so I thought she had a blue one and a red one. After a minute I said, "Why did you say cinnamon instead of red?" She was really confused, and asked if I was talking to her, or the other coworker, Cameron. When I realized what happened, I couldn't stop laughing to explain myself.

The next day, Cameron was on break, drinking a Gatorade. I said to him, "A Gatorade drinker, I see." He replied, "This is actually Gatorade, but it might as well be Hi-C." He thought I had said, "Is that Gatorade or Hi-C?"

I've always had a tendency of mishearing things, which sometimes leads to hilarity.

  • My first mission president's wife always sounded like a commercial for Zicam. On one occasion, my companion was telling me he wrote a letter the mission president saying, "I have a cold that Zicam can't fix." When he told me this story, I thought he said, "I have a cold that Zion's Camp can't fix."
  • Once at my job at BYU, some of my coworkers were pushing a cart of tables. I asked them where they were taking them. One responded, "To the west annex." I thought she said, "I hate wearing spandex." I thought they had just ignored my question, and I was confused because I didn't see her wearing any spandex. But I didn't want to pry any further by asking any more questions. Later I realized that I heard west as wearing sp, and annex as andex.
  • I was riding with my BYU boss on a work vehicle from the ball park to the fieldhouse. He said he had a stump in his truck that he needed to throw away, that we would be getting to take to the dumpster at the ball park. I thought he said he had a skunk.
I have also been on the other side.
  • Once I was sitting between two girls in my astronomy class and had engaged in a conversation with both of them. One girl asked what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to be an editor. Then she started telling me about how her sister had done the editing minor, and so on. The second girl said, "Wait, what did you say you wanted to do?" I repeated that I wanted to be an editor. The second girl said, "Oh, I thought you said you wanted to be a janitor!"
  • At the end of spring term, I went to a test review for one of my classes, the day before the final. This review made me realize how much I didn't know, so after the review, I said to one of my classmates, "I'm feeling worse about this after coming." She said, "You're feeling worse about the Second Coming?"
Oh, if you were hoping that my title "Cinnamon and blue" would refer to the football game (which it only had slightly to do with), I will give my thoughts. I think the whole rivalry is a little silly. There was an article in the paper about how U of U and BYU professors collaborate academically. Isn't that the whole point of the universities, anyway? There's always this rivalry that extends beyond sports--My school is better than yours--yet the rivalry only exists because of the sports. Weird and poorly prioritized! I'm doing a geology minor at BYU, yet I'm excited to go to the U's newly remodeled natural history museum.

I'm not into the rivalry, but I can see when people like one school over another. What irks me is when fellow Mormons say, even jokingly, that BYU is the devil's school or that BYU fans are sinners. I don't mind if Mormons like the U more than the Y. But these religious comments make no sense. How can you say them when
  • Book of Mormon, New Testament, and Doctrine and Covenants classes are required at BYU?
  • Not only religion classes, but math classes, linguistics classes, and science classes begin with prayers?
  • The positive relationship between religion and evolution can be openly discussed, instead of the entirely atheistic views of science?
  • THE SAME ORGANIZATION YOU PAY YOUR TITHING TO RUNS THE UNIVERSITY?
Just some food for thought. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment