Sunday, October 23, 2011

The purple-people-eater basketball coach was centuries too early.

This week was looking to be relatively uneventful. I worked late Monday through Wednesday, and I would have worked late Thursday if I hadn't gone to the temple with my parents. (I still worked later than I was scheduled, though.) Friday was our only calm day, so I was finally able to go running that night. As I was driving to go to my starting spot, there was an elderly man wearing a purple shirt, purple athletic pants, and a non-purple hat walking backwards up the exact middle of the road. I drove closer to the side of the road so I wouldn't hit him, but then he turned around and almost walked right in front of me. As he did this, he had the biggest grin on his face. It was so strange and random I burst out laughing.

But yesterday was a little more out of the ordinary. My parents and I got up early for a day trip down to Price and Nine Mile Canyon (which, by the way, is more than nine miles long). We were supposed to get back in time for our stake conference evening sessions, but we didn't get back until 7:00, which was when they started. So we were heathens and skipped our meetings.

We went to the prehistoric life museum in Price (where their slogan is "Death Elevated"). I don't understand why the College of Eastern Utah's dinosaur museum is bigger and better than BYU's. Maybe it's because you won't find any dinosaur fossils in Provo. The museum had a paleontology side and an archaeology side. I thought my archaeology class this summer was kind of pointless, but I realize it did give me a new perspective on the world and society.

The archaeology is related to our trip through Nine Mile Canyon, which is full of Fremont Indian artwork throughout. It's mind-boggling to think that there were people there drawing pictures hundreds and sometimes even thousands of years before anyone of European descent came to Utah.

Sadly, much of the drawings have been vandalized by moronic people who ought to be branded. They often prove their own idiocy. Like this one:
They couldn't even spell trespassing right! I really don't understand this one, because to see it, you have to walk off the road a way. Why wouldn't you put a sign up there before people got anywhere? And the only reason I could think of why you would care if people were up by the pictures was so they wouldn't disturb them--yet this is exactly what they did.

Here's another idiot:
They can't even draw a heart! it looks more like a cat.

Fortunately, many were left relatively alone, like this most famous one:
I learned some things, like:

  • The Fremont Indians played basketball.
  • They had railroad tracks.
  • Tentacled mutants coached their basketball games.
Fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment