Sunday, March 25, 2012

Running, reruns, and runny jam

This week I was finally able to meet one of my New Year's resolutions. I ran for an hour straight. This semester has been busy to the point that I haven't had time to do much running, so I was glad I was finally able to do it. Ideally I'd run every day, but it doesn't work out.

I don't like running. But I love the feeling I get afterward--I physically feel good, and there's mental satisfaction knowing I did it. This time of year is really good for running. I find my ideal running temperature is between 40 and 50 degrees--so it's actually starting to get a little warm.

I estimate that I run about seven miles when I run. I go based on time more than on distance, which is why I'm not sure how many miles it is. I'm not a serious runner. It amazes me when people talk casually about running marathons--I'm not even close to being capable of doing a half-marathon! I think my hour run is a good place to cap off. Considering that five years ago I weighed 250 pounds and I couldn't even run a mile and a half without stopping, I'm satisfied with an hour.

I went home this weekend just for fun. Both Friday night (there at home) and last night (here in Provo) I watched episodes of Green Acres. For my semantics class we have to find examples of speech that we can analyze from a semantic perspective. Green Acres makes extensive use of linguistically based humor. I think if people gave it a chance, instead of disregarding it because it's old, Green Acres could be wildly popular. It's hilarious. Consider this gem:
Oliver: Oh, that stupid festival...
Mr. Kimball: No, this is the spring festival. Stupid festival is next month.
Oliver (sarcastically): Yes, and you're gonna be king.
Mr. Kimball: I am? Gosh, that makes three years in a row!

Or this one, when Eb is taking correspondence barber school classes from MIT, the Middle Indiana Tonsorial College:
Oliver: For a minute I thought you were talking about the MIT in Massachusetts.
Eb: Oh, you mean Massachusetts Institute of Terpsichore.
Oliver (sarcastically): Yeah, that's the one.
Eb: I'm not interested in terpsichore for two reasons. One, I don't think there's much of a future in it. And two, I don't know what terpsichore is!

And these are actually kind of mild in the realm of Green Acres.

I was mildly amused by three things yesterday.

I went with my parents to eat at Chuck-a-Rama, which seems to be my dad's favorite place. My mom was eating a scone with jam at the time the waitress-like lady was passing by. My mom had just spilled some jam on her shirt. The lady asked if everything was good, and my mom said, "Yeah, if I could do it right!" The lady said "Oh!" What my mom didn't realize was that she had a trail of jam that was literally three or four inches long running down her chin. There was probably enough jam on her face to spread on a piece of bread, if you don't mind flakes of skin in your jam. I'm sure you had to be there, but I found it quite funny.

Then we were at Walmart and there was a middle aged couple dressed up and looking at step ladders. There they were, all gussied up, standing on step ladders in the middle of Walmart. I don't know why I thought it was so funny.

And last night I was driving back to Provo through Utah County construction. I had to laugh that the sign on the side of the road had not one but two typos: HEAVY TRCFFIC. USE CANTION.

I'm sorry this post is so scatterbrained. (Well, I guess it's not scatterbrained--it doesn't have a brain!)

4 comments:

  1. What Mark didn't tell you was how rude he was. He kind of got a case of the giggles and he couldn't stop laughing at me. Being eatingly challenged is not always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I am glad you invited readers of your mom's blog to read yours. You should have taken a picture to go along with the paragraph about your mom spilling jam. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised whenever I see spelling errors in public places. It makes me wonder how many people actually take a look at things like that before they are publicized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your love of Green Acres. Best episodes ever are:

    1. The episode where Lisa has to figure out how to not blow the generator.
    2. The episode where the bing bugs are attacking the corn crops.

    And Mr. Kimball just makes you laugh every time he's there.

    ReplyDelete