Sunday, October 20, 2013

Blast that hydraulic gradient!

The first round of midterms ended this week. On Tuesday I had a groundwater test. I think I did reasonably well, but there was one question in which we had to find the hydraulic gradient, but I was trying to find the hydraulic conductivity, and there wasn't enough information. In fact, I solved the hydraulic gradient in trying to solve the hydraulic conductivity, but I didn't realize that, so I don't know how many points I will get.

Last week I took my Old English test, and I thought I did OK but not great. Thus I was stunned when I got it back and got a 97! I tied for second high score! I actually missed a lot, but our professor said that she graded everything, then lumped the tests into piles and assigned scores based on how well we did. So it was more subjective. But that's OK—I'm happy with my score, and even the girl who got the lowest score was happy with hers. Maybe I will take Old English 2 after all.

On Tuesday I also went running. When I left it was lightly raining. I was running toward the mountains, and there was an enormous rainbow. There were also low-hanging clouds, snow on the higher peaks, and trees with changed leaves. Then later, the sun was setting and shining through clouds. There was pink sunlight shining on the Mississippian limestone. It was simply beautiful and wonderful. I love fall.

Then when I came home, my nipple was bleeding. If I were a mother with sucking child, my child would be a vampire.

This week I also began watching my daily Halloween shows, beginning with my 1960s sitcoms (The Beverly Hillbillies, The Addams Family, and Bewitched). In the past, I thought that my 60s shows were classics and high quality. Now I realize it's really not that way. I think Bewitched is fairly high quality, and Green Acres is genuinely hilarious, but most 60s sitcoms are hardly intelligent. I like them because they're clean and because they have cultural/historical significance, but I think that I probably like them for the same reasons I like Jan Terri—they're so ridiculous they're entertaining. Gilligan turned invisible from being struck by lightning? All of Mayberry thought that a goat could explode? Sergeant Schultz never reported Colonel Hogan? I think only in the 1960s could a show about a flying nun last for three whole seasons. After one Addams Family episode, my roommate Scott said, “The 60s were rough.” It's kind of true. But at least they didn't have to resort to inappropriate content, as most shows today do--I think they choose dirty things simply to shock, not because it's funny or intelligent. 

Yesterday I made a project about geology for my corpus linguistics class. I may have inserted some subtle (or not-so-subtle) biases concerning evolution and global warming. My professor seemed skeptical that I could make a project about geology interesting, but I hope he finds mine suitable.

I feel like I'm always writing about boring things. How can I change my blog posts to make them more interesting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment