Sunday, October 13, 2013

Oh, it was THAT week.

This week was homecoming at BYU. Which I really don't care about.

I really think there must be something wrong with me, because our culture is so greatly interested in sports and teams, and yet I could not be less interested. I can't tell a touchdown from a layup, and yet society makes sports such a big deal. Increasingly, I think I'm kind of a normal person, but then sports remind me I'm not. But I'm not going to change, because life is easier without them. I don't have to schedule things around games, and I don't have to be disappointed when my team loses. (I kind of understand how enjoying basketball might be helpful, since January and February are pretty dismal. But football? There are too many wonderful things going on in September, October, and November!) I don't hold myself above people who like sports, I just find it strange that they love them so much when I find them so uninteresting.

There were things associated with homecoming that went on, but I didn't participate in most of them. This is my second and my last homecoming at college. On Tuesday, the "devotional" was homecoming opening ceremonies. I thought, "Should I be here?" But I got a free t-shirt out of it, so it was worth it--although it's not a t-shirt I care to wear around.

On Friday my grandparents came down to Provo for the Homecoming Spectacular and took me to dinner. So that was a way I was indirectly affected by homecoming. They also gave me a box of holiday decorations made by a great aunt whom I've never met. They're mostly just Christmas ornaments with different colors. I really like the orange and black cubes, but who ever heard of a Halloween bell?

Then Saturday I watched the homecoming parade from my apartment window, making cynical comments to my roommate the whole time. If I were ever asked to narrate a parade, I would probably get fired, because I would just make snarky comments the whole time. (Especially when the medieval and Dr. Who clubs passed by.)

Before the parade was a pancake breakfast across the street. I didn't go to it, but their music was so loud it was as if I was listening to it myself right in the apartment. Since I didn't think I would be able to concentrate on scripture study, I did other productive things instead. Like submitting an application for graduation. (What!)

Other things I did this week:
  • Took a midterm for Old English. It wasn't too bad, but I should have been better at learning OE nouns. I might take Old English 2 next semester, because hopefully that will mostly be translation and not grammar. 
  • Went running Friday night, since it was the first time I'd been in Provo for the weekend in four weeks. It was a good run, but it meant that I was totally exhausted for my Saturday morning run.
  • Did a project about words from the Pilgrims instead of watching the game. (The project was less interesting than you might expect.) 
  • Missed most of institute because I was making water table and potentiometric surface maps. That's OK, though, because the food doesn't come until the end of institute anyway. 
As I have read over past blog posts, it has come to my attention that I am very boring. Sorry about that.

1 comment:

  1. I would not say you are very boring. I look forward to your posts. Where did you dine with your grandparents. It is funny that I didn't know about that until I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete