Sunday, December 15, 2013

The end is nigh

Well, all my classes are over.

My funnest classes--corpus linguistics and swimming--are completely gone from my life, and I don't have to worry about them ever again.

For technical writing, I have to show up on Tuesday for the final, but all that is is watching group presentations. My group already went, so I just have to show up and evaluate the others.

For Old English, I have to translate a passage and take it to the scheduled final on Thursday. We have been translating all semester, but we have had an online glossary that helps us translate. This translation will be more work, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Groundwater--ugh. I have been working on the final project, but I think I still have a lot I have to do, not least of which is write the three-page report. In this class, we learned lots of equations, but I don't really understand what the equations mean. I don't have to finish until Friday, but I want to finish earlier--especially since other people are going to finish earlier, and I need to work with other people, or I will be completely clueless.

I submitted student ratings last night, including ratings for Geology 210. I was amused when it wouldn't accept my submission:


I think I've finalized my schedule for winter. I just need to get my textbooks now. I decided to drop Old English 2, which I'm a little bit sad about, but I ought to take another class instead that hopefully will help me get a job. It's a three-hour evening class, but it's only once a week, and this way I won't have any Friday classes! I'm going to do my internship for more credit, because I need more money. Also in the schedule are editing student journals, French, and geology seminar.

With Christmas approaching, I've been watching various Christmas specials. I've watched all four Charlie Brown Christmas specials, and all of them are good, since none of them are from the 80s, when Peanuts specials were at their worst. However, I think that they're not as funny as the strips, because the child actors don't say their lines the way I imagine they say them in the strip.

I also bought a DVD set with seven Christmas specials, six of which I didn't have. One of them is an odd one entitled Cricket on the Hearth. It was moderately charming at first, but halfway through it got weird. There was a seedy animal joint with an ugly cat in a slinky dress singing a song about fish and chips--and then three shifty animal characters were shot in cold blood! This was a cartoon from 1967!

There was plenty to laugh about this week. Like the dream I had that my bathroom was a tattoo parlor, and I was going to get a tattoo on my arm, but before I could make the down payment for my $22,000 tattoo, I realized I would be a hypocrite if I got one.

Jan Terri posted this gem on Facebook: "i will be om WGN morning tues at 9:60 singing rock n roll santa . turn in." "Wock and Woll Santa" is a great song, with its wonderful lyric "Jumpin' around like a house on fire," but Jan's announcement of her 9:60 performance made it that much better. 

I've consumed a few million calories* this week, due to eggnog, wassail, gingerbread, candy canes, cookies, and other goodies. The air quality has kept me from running, so I'm going to become nice and "jolly." Then after New Year's, nothing is in season except for hot chocolate. Hopefully the air will clear enough that I won't be so jolly anymore. 

*Thanks to my mom for pointing out that I originally said "categories" instead of "calories."

No comments:

Post a Comment