Sunday, September 7, 2014

Welcome to September

Labor Day was rather low key this year, and it was a fairly enjoyable day. Part of enjoying it was knowing that it was the first day of September.

I decided to run by, and take pictures of, the landslide that occurred a month ago in North Salt Lake.

It was a big slide, but it wasn't nearly as big as the 1983 slide at Thistle, UT.
If you were to see only the house, you would never expect that it was only slumping ground that destroyed it.
It looks like it was a dollhouse made of cardboard.
I'm kind of hoping that this makes them reconsider future development in the area. NSL has had a bit of a history with landslides. Our house, fortunately, seems to be in a fairly secure place.

This week, I discovered North Salt Lake's Wild Rose Trail. I knew it existed, but this week I actually went on it. It is a super pleasant trail with great views and jaunts through little groves, and it only takes about twenty-five minutes to run the trail. There are already a lot of trees with their leaves turning red, and it's only going to get better. I'm so excited for fall!

Twice this week, I ran past a house where the pet dachshund came out and chased me. I know the family, and they're wonderful people, so I don't know why they would have a dog as annoying as a dachshund. I think the only reason that people like them is because of their looks--and they're not even cute, just interesting. But that wasn't the only dog encounter I had--yesterday, I was at my driveway when I noticed some Alaskan-looking dog chasing me. It didn't look vicious, but I didn't want to find out its motives, and I got in my house's door quicker than usual. These unleashed dogs reminded me why I don't like dogs. Now, for you dog people, I'm not saying dogs are bad. I'm just saying that I personally don't like them. I recognize that dogs can be good companions and that they serve important purposes. Except dachshunds. They're just useless.

I also went to the Utah State Fair with my family for a little bit, which I haven't been to since 1998. I got an overpriced foot-long corn dog, which was much more corn than dog.


I know there were football games this week. I don't care about those, but I like that it is the time of year for football. My work on Thursday did a "tailgate social" and I got a free lunch. I am so excited for cooler temperatures and changing leaves! The last four months of the year are better than the other eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment