Sunday, June 28, 2015

Just another day-by-day summary

My parents were out of town this week, so I had the house all to myself, but I did a lot of things that kept me out of the house.

On Monday, I stayed downtown after work because my ward was having a tour of the Conference Center. While I was waiting downtown, I just happened to be walking down State Street when I came across a little museum of the Social Hall that was built in 1852. I had researched the hall before, but I didn't realize part of it was still there. The foundation had been discovered a couple of decades ago, so they took it out but then put it back in the ground, and now there's glass around it so you can see it. I'm surprised at the random things that exist around here.

That night, I found an earwig perched on a light switch. I tried to scoop it off, but instead it went back inside the switch. Who knows what will happen to it now?


On Tuesday, I went to institute. We had a substitute teacher, and he asked who had read the Bible from beginning to end. I was surprised at how few had! That seems a little unacceptable to me--I mean, how can you believe in the Bible if you haven't read it? The substitute is a popular institute teacher around here, but his lesson made me uncomfortable. There was literally a conversation about why girls own more shoes than guys, which seemed not only irrelevant but a little sexist. And then, to close it off, he described the false doctrine about spirits being in awe to learn we lived in the time of Ezra Taft Benson, Gordon B. Hinckley, and Thomas S. Monson. He described it as his opinion, but still--he surely has heard that it's not true! I sat in the back strongly shaking my head.

On Wednesday, I did goathead-picking on Bountiful Boulevard. A woman asked me what I was doing and seemed impressed. She was walking her dog. Then a man who was reading while walking came by, and there was a dog preceding him who went up to the lady's dog. She said to the man, "Excuse me, but I think your dog needs to be on a leash. I was surprised, but impressed, by her boldness. But the man said it wasn't his dog, so there's some kind of irresponsible dog owner up there. If you can't be responsible with your dog, you shouldn't own one.

I pulled some more goatheads on Orchard Drive on Thursday. This is what I pulled in an hour.
See, these plants are evil not only because of their sharpness, but because of their aggressive reproductive habits. One plant can have more than a dozen branches, and each branch has a star every few inches, and the branches can grow for several feet, and each star consists of five goatheads, which stick to shoes, skin, and tires and spread to form new goathead patches. Forget kudzu--these are the most diabolical invasive species. Fortunately, these plants can be crowded out by others.

On Friday, I went to Bountiful's Got Talent. These people were more talented than I am, but it was just a local talent show. These folks won't get a record deal or anything. The quality wasn't as good as the Provo Rooftop Concerts. Those events were mainly dominated by hipsters; this event was mainly families and middle-age to old people.

On Saturday morning, I ran in North Salt Lake's pre-Fourth of July 5k. It was the first organized run I'd done since a Halloween "5k" (note the quotes) in 2011. I don't really do 5ks because (a) I'm not competitive and (b) I usually run longer than three miles, so I don't see the point. I won a ribbon for third place in my age division. But I think I was only fourth, because one of the overall winners was in my division, and I suspect there were only four of us anyway. I was disappointed, because I run slower than I thought. I also ran more than two minutes slower than I did at Provo's Freedom Run four years ago. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or if it's because I've switched to trail running, which is of necessity slower. I haven't been doing much running in recent weeks because I've been pulling goatheads, but June is almost over and I will no longer have an obligation. Then maybe I should work on speed. There's always something to do.

Then in the evening on Saturday, my three nephews (and my sister-in-law) arrived from California with my parents. It's good to see them again. Last summer, the youngest, Nathaniel, loved to talk about his hundreds and thousands of moms who lived in houses made of various substances. But now, at the age of five, he only has one mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment