Sunday, February 25, 2018

Rambling about nothing

Six years ago on this blog, I introduced a term, lemits, to refer to this peculiar time of year.

That was a long time ago, and I think it was a little awkward/naive/immature to coin a word for a particular phenomenon in my own life. (If I recall correctly, I dreamed up the word "lemits," and then later, in my waking hours, I decided to make this phenomenon its definition.)

Nevertheless, this is a very real phenomenon for me, though it has been several years since I have felt it strongly.

Between roughly mid-February and early April, there's a really weird feeling in the air. I don't know how to describe it other than weird. It's starting to stay light a little later, but still not that late. (The earlier start of Daylight Saving Time has impacted lemits significantly.) It's trying to be spring, but winter won't release its icy grasp quite yet.

And one of the most problematic parts of it is that it can be (though it isn't always) depressing. Sad things seem sadder, and neutral and even happy things can seem sad. I'm not sure why, because January is a much darker, bleaker, more depressing month. But it's February and March that bring the actual sad feelings.

I had to go to the doctor on Wednesday because I have a weird fungus on my arm. (Wouldn't it be strange awesome if mushrooms could grow on our arms?) They did some basic health checks (they will have inaccurate weight for me, because I was wearing a bulky coat), and they asked me questions about depression. I answered no to all of them, because I really think I'm fine. They asked me if I ever feel down or depressed, and I said no, because this week has really been the only time in quite a while that I have. I don't know if my experience is Seasonal Affective Disorder or something else.

Anyway, this is probably all very boring and makes it sound like I'm really struggling. I'm not. It's just this weird time of year, and the weather annoyed me this week.

Snow is pretty. I'll grant you that. And after studying hydrogeology, I understand it's vital. But it does put a damper on things. My friend wanted to go some places on my bucket list this week, but it snowed, and I thought it unwise to go someplace just for fun on the same day as hundreds of traffic accidents.

It also meant I couldn't do as much running, and I didn't do any biking. I thought about swimming, but the doctor said I have to wait for my fungus to heal. And since I'm counting calories for Lent, I really like doing cardio, because my Fitbit app gives me more calories the more I exercise. (I know the count isn't that accurate the more you exercise, but I'm still pretending it is.) So I have opted to clear snow by hand, rather than use the snowblower, so I can eat more green things. (I also submitted reviews for new Easter products, which should go up in the next week or two.)

On one of my runs, I had to run on the road because the sidewalk was snowy, and there was an uneven surface. I kind of twisted my foot/ankle, but I thought it was just fine--it surprised me more than hurt me, and I ran eight miles after doing so. But then once I was done, it was pretty sore, like I actually hurt it. But it's better now. It does really bother me that people leave their sidewalks unclear, especially if they have nice yards in the summer. If you can keep up the yard, you can keep up the sidewalk. And if you pay someone to do the yard, you can pay someone to do the sidewalk.

I had to drive out to a job interview in the snow, and I didn't like that, even though I purposely picked a car that would be good in snow.

Jimmy the cat has some matted fur, we noticed this week. So when he comes up to me for one of his frequent cuddle sessions, I've been trying to comb them out. I've had some success. But there's still several more, and he doesn't like it when I do it--and I can't say I blame him. Sometimes he gets quite angry with me. Luckily, though, he's quick to forgive.

Today in church I sang "Consider the Lilies" as part of a quintet. I was truly the weakest link and had to do lots of falsetto singing, since I'm not a singer and have a poor range. So I tried to hide my voice behind the better singers.

This post ended up being way more boring than I expected it. But I think it would be even more boring to really describe my life, where all I do is apply to jobs and mill around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment