Sunday, January 9, 2022

A low-key week

 I had a relaxing, low-key week. I start my new job tomorrow, so I took this week to just relax. I did very little in the way of schoolwork, even though I should have kept working on my portfolio. But it was really nice to just take it easy. 

Since the smell had mostly subsided from my room, I moved my bed back, so it's been nice to be back in my room. Also, I bought a desk. I used to use my computer on my bed, but in summer 2020, I attended a Zoom orientation, and I was very uncomfortable sitting on my bed. So then I used my computer from a recliner, which has been fine, but I long longed for a desk. So I bought one from Office Depot yesterday, and then I assembled it. I'm not very handy, so it's good for me to get some experience with a screwdriver and following visual instructions. Now I just have to get used to typing at a higher height than I'm accustomed to. 

   

When I was looking for desks, first I looked at DI. There was one desk that I nearly bought (I even went back for it), but it occurred to me that I would always hope, "One day I can get a desk I really like." That seemed pointless, so I didn't get a desk from DI. But I always like seeing the random stuff you find there, so I did buy a nice dress shirt for three dollars. I also bought two CDs from 1997 that commemorated the pioneer sesquicentennial—I had to have them, since they are primary sources for my research, and I can put them in my Pioneer Day playlist. I didn't know they existed. (I still regret that time I saw a witch decoration at the Provo DI that matched my heirloom vampire and Frankenstein decorations, and I didn't buy it.)

I officially own a cat, but it doesn't really feel like it, because Reggie hides from us. He mostly hides under the bed in the guest room. I can put my hand behind the bed and pet him there, and he seems to like it most of the time; he purrs, and sometimes he comes to the edge of the bed so I can more properly pet him. But I don't have any new good pictures of him, because whenever I can take a picture, I don't have my phone with me. He really seems like he has the potential to be a great cat, since not once has he nipped at us. And of course he is gorgeous, with his enormous eyes and majestic mane. But he hides all his beauty under the bed.

Cats are my most joyful thing at the moment, since there aren't any holidays and the trails are covered in snow. I did do some road running, but I have to break in my new shoes, since my old ones were pretty hammered (after I ran on every street last year).


I like to run to this trailhead in the winter, but I don't usually go on this trail itself.
Since I had free time, I was able to spend some time relaxing by watching The Snoopy Show, for which I subscribed to Apple TV+. It is charming and witty, original and classic. It's nice to have something light and wholesome during these dark times. But I only can justify watching with foreign subtitles (French in this case) so at least I feel like I'm learning something.

So yeah, that was my week! Now I have to really put in the time and effort to finish up my degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment