Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer bummer

This week was the commencement of summer classes. I'm taking French 321, Religion 122, and Religion 304.

French 321 is Advanced Grammar. I've been a bit nervous because it's the class for French-speaking RMs and it's been two years since I've taken any French. I am indeed a bit rusty. But I think it will work out. There are only eight of us in the class (maybe there's more but not everyone's been there all at once), which is the smallest class size I've ever had. Some of those eight are in similar positions to what I am in. Furthermore, I don't think the RMs are as good at the language as I had previously believed. They had to learn the language fast to be immersed in the culture, so they didn't really learn some of the deeper nuances, particularly with writing. They're still leaps and bounds ahead of me, but I think it'll be all right.

Religion 304 is the Writings of Isaiah. I'm not sure what to make of this class yet. My professor is a former seminary teacher. This could either be good, because of the "former" part, or it could be bad, because of the "seminary" part.

Religion 122 is the Book of Mormon (Alma 30-Moroni 10). There have only been two class periods, but so far I think this may be my favorite religion professor I've had. I'm a little leery of extra-scriptural interpretations (i.e. inferring things that aren't explicitly stated in the scriptures), but he does a good job of showing how the Book of Mormon is relevant in our day. This week we talked about Alma's letters to his sons. We always talk about Helaman, because he has his own book and because of the stripling soldiers (read the book--they're soldiers, not warriors); and we always hear about Corianton, because of the doctrinal principles Alma gave him (obviously he didn't understand something, or else he would have kept the law of chastity). We seldom hear about Shiblon, who has only one chapter devoted to him. But in class we talked more about that chapter than the others. The professor explained that it was because there probably aren't many Helamans (future prophets) in the class and hopefully there aren't any Coriantons (committers of serious sins). But there are lots of Shiblons; it's an entirely RM class. A lot of the advice Alma gave to Shiblon is perfect for us returned missionaries. There's nothing wrong with being a Shiblon.

At work we've been proofreading--yet again--a very interesting publication that is going to come out later this year. It should be done by now, but we keep finding problems. My favorite mistake I found this week was a place where it said "tevelation" instead of "revelation."

This week I had a symbolic dream. I dreamed that there was a horse that didn't really like its owner, but for some reason it really took a liking to me. I was flattered that it liked me so much, but I couldn't help thinking, "What am I going to do with a horse?" Lately there have been a lot of people visiting me. I'm very flattered that they visit me; I've never had so many visits in my life, and I feel like I actually have some semblance of a social life. I really like visiting with them, but I just realized how much harder summer term is going to be for me than spring term was, and it's only the beginning of the term and I already feel like I'm way behind. How am I going to stay caught up when I have all these visitors? What am I going to do with all these horses?

Since my knee prohibits me from running, on Monday I decided to go biking. It's something I have long planned on, but I never actually did it. So I went down to the parking garage, and the seats to six bicycles, including mine, were missing! I filed a police report, and after talking to a policeman, I came up the stairs and ran into some girls who were trying to sneak my autographed Jan Terri picture out so they could frame it for me. I told them about my bike, and I told them about my outrage about a Police Beat story that talked about some bike thieves who were arrested and subsequently released. I said, "If they're going to release them, they should at least cut their hands off first." I don't know what to do now--if I want to see if I can order a new seat, or if I just want to take my bike home to NSL and leave it there and forget about biking. I had my bike stolen two years ago. I brought my present bike down to Provo two months ago, and already the seat's been stolen. I didn't bother having my bike down here at all last year. If you read any Police Beat story, there are always accounts of stolen bicycles. If the nefarious villains are only released and not locked up, it makes Provo a very dangerous place for a bicycle, and I don't know if it's worth the risk--especially since I have a car and it takes me five minutes to walk to campus.

This week a girl and I were stalking Jan Terri on Facebook on my computer. The girl was looking around and accidentally clicked a button that sent her a friend request! I'm now friends with Jan Terri on Facebook. Yes.

This is something I really don't like to talk about--but yesterday I got a haircut. I hadn't had one since April 4. I'm not sure what to think--I can't decide if I look normal, or if I look homeschooled or like a rockstar or like a lesbian. My cousin's getting married this week. My hair is going to spoil the wedding.

I consider summer to start with the beginning of June, but no matter what you consider summer to be, there's no denying it is fully summer now. Summer classes are in session, the summer solstice has passed, and wildfires are filling the air with smoke. Summer is traditionally my least favorite season. But you have to endure it to get to fall!

2 comments: