Sunday, June 2, 2013

Summertime, and the living will be easy, eventually

It is now June, which, if I am not mistaken, is the beginning of meteorological summer, which, in my opinion, is more meaningful than astronomical summer. I mean, if you're going by the astronomical system, then that means it's not winter until a few days before Christmas, even though it's cold and snowy long before then.

Anyway, even though I don't like heat, I'm excited for summer. I'm not going to take any classes during summer term. It will be the first time I haven't taken classes during summer and the first extended break from classes since fall 2011. Summer in Provo is awesome. Around the Fourth of July, I'm going to California to see my nephews. Then in the last two weeks of August, I will be in my Geology 210 class, out exploring the geology of Little Cottonwood Canyon and Utah's national parks.

Yes, my summer bliss starts in two and a half weeks! Unfortunately, I have to make it through those two and a half weeks.

On Wednesday this week, I have a midterm for my Structure of English class. Hopefully it won't get pushed back again, because I'm counting on it being over by then. A week from tomorrow, I have a four-page paper due in that class. The writing won't be bad, I just have to decide what words to write about and research them.

Now, it wouldn't be bad if that were the only paper due that day. But my Editing for Publication class this term is a really big time drainer. A week from tomorrow, I have an eight-page paper and a portfolio due in that class, while in the meantime I have to continue working on a group project.

This morning I went through and planned my week, hour by hour, to make sure I will get everything done. That means I will need to be especially diligent about staying on task. Unfortunately, I worry that some unexpected things may come up that may thwart my plans. But I will do my best.

One thing that may come up is related to my calling. All of the Church's clerical stuff is entered into MLS, a piece-of-junk program that's about ten years out of date. Our MLS hasn't been working properly, so on Friday I called the tech guys at Church headquarters. They diagnosed the problem but weren't able to fix it. In attempting to fix it, they deleted our MLS and then downloaded it again. But in redownloading it, something didn't go quite right, so now we can't use MLS at all until it gets fixed. The stake clerk is going to try to get it fixed. I hope he doesn't call me and ask me to be involved in fixing it, because that would mess up all my plans. Usually I only plan one day at a time, not a whole week.

But after next Monday, it should be a lot easier. And then a week and a half after that...

Ahh. I'm so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment