Sunday, June 16, 2013

Welcome summer

After last week's busy-ness, this week was a relief. Unfortunately, I still had things to do, but I was all out of motivation. I did do what I needed to, but I could have done better. I am just so excited that the term is over this week! I have a final on Wednesday, and I have a portfolio due Thursday, but that is almost done anyway, and then I'm home free! I'm not taking summer classes--it will be my first break from classes since fall 2011, and my first ever break from classes in Provo. Provo is really fun in the summer, and it will be even better without homework!

I've felt that this term has gone by fast, and I was thinking, "Well, that means that summer term, my break, will go by fast." But then I realized that that's not necessarily a bad thing, because when summer term is over, I have my two-week Geology 210 "class" (which I'm nervous for), and that will also go by fast. And then it will be September, my second-favorite month. I find the last third of the year to be the best. During September it is my birthday and the beginning of the Halloween season, which is my third-favorite holiday. After Halloween is Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. And after Thanksgiving is Christmas, my second-favorite holiday. It's going to be a great six months!

Hopefully my summer will be a sufficient break for me before I start classes in the fall. I did decide (tentatively) to wait until April to graduate so that I can take Groundwater. (The only drawback to an April graduation is that Easter is right in the middle of finals week.) Because I have the maturity of a thirteen-year-old, I found myself amused by the Captcha I got when signing up for Groundwater:

On Friday night I went to a concert at Central Utah Gardens in Orem to see Cherie Call. It was the fifth time I've seen her live: I saw her in a Temple Square concert on New Year's Eve in 2010; in an American Fork concert on August 1, 2011; at an art exhibit opening in the HBLL in October; and at a B 98.7 mini Christmas concert in December. I didn't think her singing was her greatest this time, but I still liked it. She performed with a bluegrass group called Lincoln Highway, who gave her songs a nice bluegrass touch and also performed some of their own stuff. Cherie sang "A Secret I Can't Keep," "Invincible," "River of Tears," "One Good Woman," "Memphis," "Heart Made of Wind," and "Pilgrim Go!" Then for an encore she sang "Walk You through the Night," which she has sung every time I've seen her. I really like her unique voice and I like how every song has a story behind it. If you haven't checked her out, I recommend doing so. Here is one of my favorites of her songs, "Pilgrim Go!" (this song is not really religious, by the way).

Then yesterday I got an ugly haircut that makes me look like some kind of inanimate object--maybe a loaf of bread. Then there was a stake activity. I think our "new" (year-old) stake presidency tries to have a lot more activities than the previous one. I heard a story that there was a dance party (which I didn't go to), and the stake president specifically asked for them to play lots of slow songs. I heard from our Relief Society president that every time a slow song came on, everyone cleared the dance floor. I find that a hilarious example of the generation gap. Maybe "slow songs" were popular decades ago, but when I think of slow songs now, I think back to junior high. Adults don't do that anymore!

I'm so excited to get done with everything this week! It will be a great summer, even though I usually don't like summer! (I feel dumb using all those exclamation points. At least I didn't use multiple exclamation points, as women who are 30 and older do.)

1 comment:

  1. Yea!!!! I'll get to see you soon. I should be home late Tues. Or early Wed. Hope finals go well. I love you.

    ReplyDelete