Sunday, August 11, 2013

Forgive me, August

I have often considered August to be the worst month of the year. I mean, it's hot, there are no holidays, and summer vacation comes to an end.

But this past winter, with the never-ending inversion and the freezing rain that broke my tooth, I think January moved into the spot of Worst Month of the Year.

And while August is no November or September, it still has good merits. This week I had some enjoyable experiences that could only happen (or are more likely to happen) in August.

Once I asked my previous roommate, Bryton, what his favorite month was, and he said August. I was surprised he would say that, since it was my least favorite. But he said he liked it because of the thunderstorms. And thunderstorms are pretty cool. At work one day this week, a few of us stopped what we were doing and stepped out into the JFSB courtyard in order to enjoy the weather.

This week I also had a rather pleasant drive. My cousins were visiting Utah and staying in Park City, so I went to visit for a few hours. I drove through Provo Canyon, listening to the Mamas and the Papas, while rain fell and lightning flashed in the distance. It was beautiful. I should go on more scenic drives. I was sad I wasn't able to spend more time with my cousins' kids, because they seem pretty cute.

This weekend I went home for one last time before fall semester starts. Most people get a two-and-a-half-week break starting this week, but I don't because I'm taking Geology 210, Field Studies. But this whole summer term has been a break for me (even if I didn't do as many things as I had hoped). I have one week until Field Studies, and I'm nervous. I was feeling less nervous, but then last night I had a dream that I showed up for the first day (at Death Valley, even though that's not where we're going) and didn't understand how the last week of summer had gone by so quickly and couldn't remember if I had gotten everything I needed. I know it's ridiculous to be nervous because of a dream, but I am.

While I was at home I picked plums from the tree in the backyard, and my mom made a pie. I'd never had plum pie before, and it was pretty good, although tart.

It has almost become a tradition to buy shoes during August (at least I did in 2012 and 2011), since that's when Famous Footwear has their buy-one-get-one-1/2-off sale. I got some new running shoes (K-Swiss have become the only shoes I trust) and then another pair of shoes. I felt like a girl, because there were three pairs that I really wanted, but it seemed excessive to get four new pairs of shoes.

My new roommate Chad did some more moving in this week, and I've learned a little more about him, although he is still gone a lot. On Friday morning, while he was still asleep, I heard him say, "It's all right! I got it, dude!" He has been sleeping at our apartment, but that seems to be the only thing he's been doing here.

I'm really sorry. I'm sure you didn't come here wanting to hear about shoes, pie, and weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment