Sunday, August 18, 2013

Then school comes along just to end it

All my life, I have never had a school year start in September. They've always started in August.

And this year was my last chance to start in September, since I graduate in April. BYU fall semester starts September 3, the day after Labor Day.

But I blew that chance by enrolling in Geology 210, field studies. This is a class that takes place the two weeks between summer and fall.

It starts tomorrow, thus putting an end to my summer. (I think I've got everything I need, but I don't know if I'm academically prepared--they told us to study, but I don't know how much we actually needed to study.)

Luckily, I've just been working this summer, which means I got a break. I feel bad for those who took summer classes and are taking Geology 210 and are taking fall classes.

It has been a good, interesting summer. Big things have happened, like going to Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks and going to Disneyland and visiting my cute nephews. Little things have happened as well: I learned that a relative unfriended me because I used big words, I found some mustard spice in my mom's cupboard that expired before my older brother was born, and a little girl hid in a closet because she didn't like my family--and then her mom did the exact same thing, only in a bedroom.

My final week of the summer was fairly enjoyable. On Monday, several of us went up Provo Canyon near Vivian Park to watch the meteor shower. It was really cloudy at first, and I'm not sure whether I saw meteors or if my eyes were tricking me. Then later it cleared up and we saw a couple of good ones.

On Wednesday, BYU Studies (where I work) had an end-of-the-summer student party. The editor-in-chief at BYU Studies is John W. Welch, who discovered chiasmus in the Book of Mormon. He was present at our party, and he told the very interesting story of how he discovered Book of Mormon chiasmus. Then after his story, we descended into the world of frivolity and watched YouTube videos. I think I must have a different sense of humor than most people, because I didn't find most of their stuff that entertaining. But I did introduce them to the face workout video. If you've ever had a YouTube party with me, you've probably seen it. But if you haven't seen it, you're in for a real treat. Prancercise has got nothing on these exercises.

On Thursday I got my first--and perhaps last--Slurpee of the summer.

Then Friday and Saturday were spent getting ready for Geology 210. There are butterflies in my stomach. I haven't been on a week-long campout in forever, much less one like this. But it should be fun. I have noticed that a lot of geologists study geology because they are outdoorsy people. But I am not an outdoorsy person. Other people do geology because they like the outdoors. I do the outdoors because I like geology.

A year ago, I was surprised when Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" soared to the tops of the charts upon its debut. Unlike "Mean" or "Back to December," I didn't think it was a particularly great song, so it was obvious to me that it was so successful simply because Taylor is so popular. But I fed that beast this week by buying Lady Gaga's new single, "Applause." I got it not because I thought it was a great song (although I still kind of like it), but because I like Lady Gaga and she hasn't released a new song in a while. She is a really talented singer, as evidenced by songs like "Speechless" and "You and I," but this song masks her talent.

Katy Perry also released a new single, "Roar," on the same day. They were released early because they had been leaked. I like Gaga more than Katy (hence the reason I got "Applause" but not "Roar")--I think Gaga has real talent while Katy's just another pop star--but I think "Roar" will do better because it is less weird.

I have bought new (or "new") music by five artists in the last month, but my favorite of those five is still the Mamas and the Papas.


I have found that when I post my blog early on Sunday, I don't get many pageviews. So I probably won't get many today.

Fall really starts in two weeks. And my blogs will probably be just as unstructured then as they are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment