Sunday, September 15, 2013

glīwcræft

It was a weird week for wildlife. You probably heard about the bats in the Marriott Center, either from Facebook or from my other blog, so I won't talk about them here. Then on Friday, I was sitting outside on a bench near the Eyring Science Center. I thought I saw a deer nearby. Then it came running around the corner. It ran around and made a circle back to where it started. Then it came around again. It looked like its tongue was hanging out; it almost seemed as if a deranged deer was coming straight at me. It turned, but it was such a sharp turn that it kind of lost its footing and kicked dirt out of the little garden area. Then it kept going straight, and it almost fell over when it switched from dirt to concrete. Deer aren't as interesting as bats (they practically live in my yard at home), but it was still a strange experience.

Classes are still going good. Here's how they are looking:
The Senior Course for my major, a class that focuses on corpus linguistics, is probably my easiest class (at least so far)--not what I was expecting from a senior course. But we haven't really started doing much with the corpus yet. But I don't expect it to be too hard.
Old English doesn't have many assignments that are due, so I'm least motivated to study for it, but it probably requires the most studying for me to learn it. Old English is so weird. Last night I spent some time trying to memorize the pronouns. The first- and second-person pronouns are easy enough, but the third-person pronouns are crazy. Especially since there are four, sometimes five, cases we have to learn. I understand why English dropped all that stuff. One day after class, some people from the next class came in and saw the Powerpoint projected at the front. Several of them said, "What language is that?" I wish I would have said, "It's English. Can't you tell?"
Technical Communication seems to be a fairly easy class. Most of my classmates are from more technical fields, so often our professor will ask me if I can explain a particular principle or ask if I have an example, since I'm the only editing minor in the class. I feel I'm pretty good at writing, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Groundwater is a lot more math than I've done in a long time. Fortunately, it seems to be all algebra, which I can do. It is a lot of work (tomorrow's not going to be fun getting a big lab done), and so far it seems to be more math than geology, but it's all right. I'm at the point where I think that geology is more interesting than linguistics, but I'm more linguistically minded than scientifically minded. I'll stick with the linguistics (which is also pretty interesting).
Swimming for Non-swimmers is fun, but I feel like I'm not learning as well as I'm supposed to. I think I'm learning more than I would otherwise know, but I feel like I never know what I'm doing in class. I can't hold my breath. And I can't see without my glasses. I ordered some prescription-ish goggles, so hopefully those should arrive this week and make the class better.

Those are really all the classes I'm taking, since Geology 210 is over and the internship class is what I was already doing anyway (I just have to turn in some reports and papers).

On Friday I went to Provo's concert venue Velour. It was my first time there. And honestly it's not my kind of place. It's loud, it's crowded, it's hot, it's smelly--not my ideal place. But I went to see an indie-folk ("Of Monsters and Men" type folk, not "Peter, Paul and Mary" type folk) group called Mideau (MID-oh). I first heard them at the August Rooftop Concert Series, and I liked them enough that I would have bought their CD. But they didn't have a CD, so I bought tickets to their CD release concert instead, which was on Friday. Their CD was only available at the concert; there will be a wide release later. I really like them, and apparently so do lots of people. Their concert sold out before the show, and it was their first headliner show (the first time they were the main act)! The friend I was with has been to Velour many times and said it was the busiest she'd ever seen them. If they become the next Neon Trees or Imagine Dragons, I will be able to say that I was at their first headliner show and that I bought their first album the day it came out (#hipster). Here is a video with samples of their album:

Then Jan Terri's album comes out tomorrow. Between Mideau, Jan Terri, and my new Halloween music, I'll be on music overload!

No comments:

Post a Comment