Sunday, September 22, 2013

Johnny Tremain

This semester is (or was) going to appear to have rather calm Sundays. Last week I wrote on both of my blogs and still had time left at the end of the day that I didn't know what to do with. Church starts earlier now, so I have more time in the afternoon. (That's a bad thing, because then I want to take naps, which means I won't fall asleep when I go to bed. I'm not looking forward to the two hours of lying awake that I know will happen tonight.) I have made it a rule that I don't do homework on Sundays unless it is of a religious nature. I know that's not a commandment, but it's my personal choice. I don't have any religion classes this semester, which means no Sunday homework.

Except that tonight was the first time in college that I've done non-religious homework on a Sunday. You see, I have some classes in which I have to do the homework assignments on the weekend. But I spent my weekend frivolously by going home.

I wanted to go home in order to get ready for Halloween. My Nightmare Before Christmas CD was at home, so I had to add it to my Halloween playlist, which now has 102 songs. I wanted to watch Frankenweenie in 3D (I still can't believe my dad got a 3D Blu-Ray player). I gathered a bunch of Halloween decorations to put up in my apartment. I went grocery shopping with my mom and got all sorts of pumpkin- and pumpkin-spice-flavored goodies--Pop Tarts, M&Ms, granola bars, cereal bars--and Count Chocula.

It was also that time of year to make grape juice from the grapes that grow in our backyard. We get lots of leverage out of our home-grown produce--apricot jam, apricot cobbler, plum pie--but the grape juice is my favorite.

I didn't leave to go back to Provo until fairly late, since there was some kind of uninteresting event going on in Provo. I probably wouldn't have been ready to leave anyway. Then I came home and just had to put up Halloween decorations before I went to bed, and Carissa the horse visited me while I did so.

Thus I did zero homework on Friday and Saturday. I don't necessarily regret it; it was fun to rock out to the Mamas and the Papas with my mom, see my sister's new house, and take my grandparents out to lunch before they went to that uninteresting event. But it meant that I didn't have a very restful day of rest.

Johnny Tremain lost the use of his arm for breaking the Sabbath. All I lost is a few relaxing hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment