Sunday, May 29, 2016

I'm gonna run right up this hill

After last week's rather uninteresting highlight reel (a post that was surprisingly popular), this week had a few more interesting highlights. I mean, I didn't go to Europe or buy a dog, but I was still satisfied.

(In fact, there are some highlights that don't make it here because they aren't as interesting, even though they're more interesting than things that happen other weeks.)

I was wearing my favorite t-shirt, with Eddie Munster on it. One older lady asked if it was a picture of me on the shirt. Eddie, of course, is a werewolf. Anyone who has known me long enough will know why that's funny.

I went on a run to the radio towers on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. On this run, I saw a few lovely things:
  • a magpie flying in tandem with another, larger bird
  • a field of Palmer's penstemon wildflowers (I think) that emitted a lovely scent as I went by
  • a deer's leg with the flesh rotted to the bone at the top. (This one puzzled me, as it's a heavily trafficked trail.)
But I was most excited to accomplish my second trail running New Year's resolution, to run to Rudy's Flat in North Canyon. I tried last month, but snow kept me from accomplishing it. It was a wonderful experience. As I was going up, I passed some hikers coming down, and one of them said, "Oh, stop it right now!" and the other said, "Making everyone look bad."

The blossoming season for arrowleaf balsamroot is coming to an end, but there was still a good number of it.

 I saw some stickseed, a pretty flower with an ugly name.
 This open portion of the trail near the top wasn't so enjoyable, because there were lots and lots of bugs trying to fly into my ears, my eyes, my mouth.
 Rudy's flat is just a little meadow area. It's nice, but the trees obstruct views. However, the trees themselves are a nice view.
 This could have been a nice picture if my finger hadn't been in the way.
 I often see temples from a distance on my runs (both Bountiful and Salt Lake), but I think this was the first time I noticed it from above. (Unless you count the Provo Temple two years ago, but then I wasn't very far above it.)
 It is the season for mulesears, which are very similar to arrowleaf balsamroot, but their leaves are quite different.
 A chipmunk isn't very exciting wildlife, but I'll take it.
 I have always thought blue was rare in the plant kingdom, but these phacelia plants (along with stickseed, Wasatch penstemon, and others) are telling me that blue is more common than I thought.
 Sometimes I see really random stuff. A car radio perched on top of a gas pipeline sign is one of the most random.
I was really satisfied with this run. It was 7 miles roundtrip (well, 6.99) with a 1,590-foot elevation gain. I've been to North Canyon many times, but this was the first time I ran all the way to Rudy's Flat and all the way back. (Last Pioneer Day I ran all the way down but walked most of the way up.) It was also the longest elapsed time I've spent running, but I was going slow, especially since I was taking pictures. Fantastic.

It's a good thing I got this run in, because Memorial Day weekend kicks off the return of candy. The selection of red, white, and blue candy is usually pretty meager, but I've been astonished by the amount I've seen so far. I think the Olympics are helping with that this year.

Tonight may very well be the last night with the 70s yellow shag carpet in my bedroom. But we're still keeping the Brady Bunch paneling.

No comments:

Post a Comment