Sunday, September 3, 2017

Footnotes.

Seven years ago, during the height of one of my many awkward phases,[1] I posted gleefully on Facebook, "August is DEAD!!"

As I have talked about in years past,[2] I have come to enjoy August more than I used to. Still, I often find myself pacing the floor in my mind waiting around for that slow-poke September to arrive. Last year was one of those years when I just couldn't wait for fall to get here.

This year? I wasn't so impatient. August, you really outdid yourself this year, what with an eclipse,[3] new trails,[4] visiting Little Cottonwood Canyon, grape juice,[5] 

grape bread, tomato zucchini cobbler,[6]
a new Taylor Swift song,[7] and the old stand-bys of shaved ice and popsicles.[8]

I have started looking at cars to buy, but I don't really want to tell you about it, because then everyone will start telling me all about what cars I should or shouldn't buy. I'm already getting enough of that from my dad and sister.[9]

It really wasn't that eventful of a week. But now that it is September, I am excited for the weather of football season,[10] changing leaves, and the return of seasonal treats.[11] Viva la Septiembre!

---------

[1] My whole life is awkward, but it can be divided into different phases. That was the "awkward recently returned missionary" phase, as opposed to the "awkwardly single working professional" phase I'm currently in.

[2] See 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.

[3] I didn't buy any eclipse t-shirts in Wyoming, but this week my cousin Tammy sent me one as a surprise gift. Thanks Tammy!

[4] Unfortunately, there was a wildfire in Bountiful this week, so my default trails were closed.

[5] This is the second year in a row our juice grapes were ripe in August. That never happens. It's always in September.

[6] Don't knock them till you've tried them.

[7] Lots of people hate it, but I don't. August singles tend to be more memorable to me.

[8] There was, however, a dearth of August thunderstorms.

[9] If it weren't for the fact that I live on a steep hill that gets a lot of snow, the environmentally friendly 52 MPG of the Prius would cinch the deal for me. But, you know, winter.

[10]


[11] In 2015 and 2016, I created a special segment on my blog called pumpkinundation roundup, in which I documented various pumpkin, candy corn, caramel apple, and other flavors of things I encountered. This segment proved to be surprisingly popular among my readers. I'm trying to decide whether I should continue it or not, and whether I should do a different format. You will notice a poll on the sidebar (of the desktop view, not the mobile view). Here are my options:
  1. Don't do it. I'm not counting calories this year (though I didn't in 2015 either), so it could be dangerous to do a round-up. Some people don't care about it.
  2. Continue it on this blog. People will know where to find it, and the format is familiar. On the other hand, it might annoy those who don't care. Also, while it fits perfectly with the hodgepodge organization of most blog posts, sometimes I like to follow a theme, and the pumpkinundation can detract from the theme.
  3. For all the following options, I would probably do more than the standard pumpkin/apple/candy corn flavors, and I would do it for more holidays. Do a different blog, one devoted entirely to seasonal treats.
  4. Instagram. I don't do Instagram, but it seems like everyone's on it. It would be a learning curve for me, but I know the basics. I would make it a public profile (and keep a degree of anonymity) so I could interact with the companies that make the various snacks. 
  5. Twitter. Twitter sounds like it could be more fun, actually, but not as many people use it. However, I could attach the Twitter feed to this blog, so even if you're not on it, you could see it from this blog. The Twitter account would likewise be public.
Please vote or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment