Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A tarantula story

I'm making this post because it's something that has simply amazed me this past week, and I kind of want to vent.

You may recall that I have a tarantula problem. Now, this tarantula is kind and benevolent. But scary. And very, very weird.

This past week and a half has been especially weird. It must have eaten a radioactive cricket or something with all the weird stuff. For simplicity in this post, I am going to use the term roommate to refer to my roommate who shares my room, and the term flatmate to refer to my roommate who does not share my room. These are things the tarantula has done in just over a week:

  • My flatmate came home at 2:00 a.m. and wanted to go to bed, but the tarantula had placed all of its stuff all over his bed. This tarantula owns an incredible amount of stuff. It's especially incredible when you consider that it's a creature that doesn't even own a car. I would guess it owns 75% of the stuff in the apartment. Or at least 50%.
  • A girl made cookies for that same flatmate. The tarantula gave those cookies to its dinner group. Without asking my flatmate.
  • It also gave the pumpkin seeds I made on Halloween to its dinner group. Without asking.
  • My flatmate's boss had made my flatmate some banana bread or something. That disappeared too without my flatmate getting any. That wasn't even something that was ever mentioned to be shared with anyone, and there wasn't enough to share anyway. 
  • And by the way, this was a dinner group the tarantula recently joined. It left its previous dinner group because it didn't like the food they made. 
  • It opened my and my roommate's bedroom door early in the morning and then closed it again, without any explanation. (This was at least the second time it has done so.) 
  • It was on a date in our apartment in which he and the female made pumpkin pies and construction paper leaves. During this date, it listened to Christmas music and even blasted "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" really loud.
  • For this date, it used my pumpkin-shaped pie dish, which is fine with me. But then it lent the dish to the girl without asking me, when it could have just as easily sent her home with the other one.
  • And in this date (which involved long periods of silence, and lasted until after 12:30, which is cutting it close to the Friday night curfew of 1:00), it used my flatmate's construction paper. Without asking him.
  • A few weeks ago, it added a bookshelf to our kitchen (it already has two whole shelf cases in the kitchen, each consisting of four shelves completely full of stuff that belong to it). This week it moved that new bookshelf and put it on its desk. At least it's out of our way now.
  • It has placed a large pile of boxes in front of my flatmate's side of the closet.
  • It folded my underwear.
  • It moved some of my roommate's clothes from a closet outside our bedroom into his bedroom closet. Without asking my roommate.
  • It put some random stuff inside our bedroom door. One of the things is a "Welcome to Paradise" sign it itself bought at DI this summer.
  • After an extensive redecoration this summer before it even moved in, this weekend it put up two new posters in the kitchen. One is a Mormonad, and the other is a poster seemingly bragging about the St. George Marathon. 
  • When a neighbor came looking for evaporated milk, it asked (however tarantulas speak) my flatmate if he had any evaporated milk. My flatmate was thinking of powdered milk instead, and responded that he didn't have any. To which the tarantula said, "Yes you do," and pulled a can out of my flatmate's cupboard to give to the neighbor.
Any of these things by itself would be unusual by itself, but relatively innocuous. But all of them happening in one week--it's insane!

I sometimes think I'm the strangest being on the planet. But all this makes me realize that might not be the case. 

A note: The tarantula is a good being and I like it. This post focused on the negative, but there are good things as well. They just don't always balance out...

No comments:

Post a Comment