Sunday, October 5, 2014

A Is for Apple, B Is for Birthday, C Is for Conference

I feel like this wasn't an overly eventful week, even though it was.

In fact, I find myself most amused at the oddly specific dreams I had: a horrible second date with a girl named Kelli, a new intern at work named Nigel (neither of these people existing in real life), and Walmart restrooms containing rooms for religious rituals, such as infant baptisms.

Monday was my birthday, but it wasn't very eventful. We had cake, and I got some presents, but all of them need to be returned, either because they weren't what I wanted or they didn't fit. (Don't think I'm just picky; my mom says she knew her gifts were a gamble. My sister got me some awesome socks, including ones with dinosaur fossils, but they're too small.)

My birthday means that I'm 26, which means that I'm no longer on my parents' insurance. So with the help of an agent, I got set up for insurance. Earlier this year, in a political post, I said, "Obamacare is a good idea in theory, but in practice it has some major problems." I still feel this way. I'm glad that I've been able to be on my parents' insurance until now. But when we tried to get me set up, it wouldn't let us in. So then we had to call HealthCare.gov, and we were on the phone for like an hour--probably more--with two different people who didn't know what they were talking about. The next day we were able to talk to someone who knew what he was doing--but it still took longer than it would have if we had been able to get into the site.

Except for Monday, I worked from home this week, because all my tasks have been ones that didn't require being at the Church History Library. I was supposed to go to Provo, but they weren't ready, so it will probably be this week. (It had better be.) I'll have to be back in the office this week. But I learned that I can stay at my job until the end of the year--so now that I have an insurance plan set up, it makes my job hunt a little less urgent. Which is good.

It's really unusual to be excited about an apple, but I was. We have apricot and plum trees and grapevines that all yield fruit. We also have an apple tree, but it has never yielded good apples--they never got big or ripe. Our neighbor's tree hangs over into our yard, and their apples are decent, except they usually have worms. (I was thinking about how "worm" today means either the worms in the ground or larvae of various insects. It's still a very broad word. But Old English "wyrm" meant snake, dragon, and pus, and I think it meant worm as well, so the meaning has definitely narrowed a lot.) Yesterday, I actually found a good apple from our very own tree! It made me so happy. In more than twenty-three years living at this house, I don't think I've ever had an apple from that tree.

It was conference weekend, and I even got to attend the Sunday morning session. It's the first time I've attended conference there since I sang in the choir nine (!) years ago. Of course, there were protesters there telling us what we believe. I didn't realize how nice it would be to actually be there. But I was disappointed they didn't have any foreign speakers that session, because I wanted to see how the subtitles worked. (On TV, they just did voice-overs.) When they put a picture of President Hinckley (who was the prophet last time I was in the Conference Center) up on the screen, I noticed that he was being photobombed by Brother Brigham:

Also this week, I've been fasting from Facebook. So if you've been wondering where I was, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment