Sunday, November 9, 2014

Not very interesting

This week was fairly uneventful. If anything, today was perhaps the most interesting day.

This morning, I went to my home ward's sacrament meeting because it was the primary program. It was my niece's last program, and my mom is the primary president. Seven years ago, before I left on my mission, I was a nursery teacher, and it was fun to see all my old nursery kids grown up. That was so long ago.

Sometimes I get baby hungry. Mostly toddler hungry. I get sad that my youngest nephew will be five in January. I read a story this week about a drunkard mom who left her seven-year-old son shirtless in a car overnight and then lied to police when they asked her where he was. It really irks me that these moronic lowlife losers have children when a responsible, good person like me has none.

Today in my family history class, I was looking at my family history line and I discovered that Charlemagne is my 42nd great-grandfather. Now, I don't feel special out of knowing that, as it's not unique and there are lots of ordinary people in my line, but it amazes me that someone has done the work to figure all that out, and it amazes me to think that Charlemagne probably never considered that more than a thousand years after he died, he would have plain ordinary descendants living on a continent he didn't even know about! Where will my descendants be a thousand years from now? Will they be on the Moon or Mars? First I need to get some children before I start thinking about that...

That line was through my great-grandma, Grandma King. When I was born, there were three of my great-grandmothers who were still alive. Days after I turned three, Grandma Nada died. My only memory of her is seeing her in her casket at her funeral, but I remember that I knew who she was. Grandma King died when I was in sixth grade, and I visited her a few times in my life, so I remember her. I always remember getting birthday cards with $2 in them. Ironically, the only great-grandma I didn't meet was the one who lived the longest. Grandma Mary was apparently very mean, so mean that my dad vowed he'd never visit her again. And he kept that vow. In her late life, apparently, she had Alzheimer's. So between the meanness and the dementia, I never met her.

I'm not really decorating my house for Thanksgiving this year, even though it's my favorite holiday, because we won't be here for it. But this summer I bought a light-up turkey from eBay, and I figured since I recently got it, I might as well put it up; and if I was putting it up, I might as well put up the matching Pilgrims I had; and if I was going through the trouble of putting them out, I might as well put out the inflatable turkey as well. As far as outside decorations go, I usually do more for Thanksgiving than for any other holiday. It really is the best.

Yesterday I went to Winegar's grocery store. In years past, I have been dismayed by all their Christmas decorations in early November, nearly two months before Christmas. Yesterday I was happy to see that they didn't have their decorations up. (They were selling Christmas stuff, but I don't have a problem with that.) Instead of the decorations, they were playing Christmas music. Which may be even worse. Now, there are some Christmas activities that I think are fine before Thanksgiving--like putting up lights before it gets snowy, or buying Christmas gifts, or buying decorations so you'll be ready to put them up. But simply decorating or listening to Christmas music just because Halloween is over? Preposterous!

Today I made a pizza with crust made with pumpkin. It was decent, but not very pumpkin-y. One of these days I want to try my hand at cooking a raw pumpkin instead of using canned. Except that I tend to be lazy.

Maybe next week's post will be more interesting. Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment