Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Modern Yuletide Carols

This has been a month of Christmas concerts. Earlier in the month I went to a Cherie Call Christmas concert and to the Tabernacle broadcast of the MoTab's Christmas concert.

This week, I went to two more Christmas concerts--The Lower Lights and the Piano Guys.

This year, the Lower Lights did seven Christmas concerts, each with a special guest. One of their guests was the National Parks, who I grew to like this spring, so I got tickets for that show. I went with my mom, sister, and niece. (Another guest this week was Neon Trees, disguised as "The Christmas Trees," but even though I knew who they were, we already had tickets for Piano Guys. Between National Parks and Neon Trees, I prefer the Parks; but I don't know who I'd pick between Neon Trees and Piano Guys.)

I was a little disappointed, because the National Parks only sang three songs, and it was very stripped down. They got to sing later with the Lower Lights, and they were, after all, not the main act. I own two of the songs they sang. They sang a new Christmas song--I don't own it because it's only available on a Provo Christmas CD, and I didn't feel like getting it if I don't live in Provo anymore.

The Lower Lights, as always, were great. They sang their Christmas songs and some songs from their latest album. There were about twenty of them total. They always put on a good show. I don't like most of the vocals by the men of the group, especially not Ryan Tanner, but they have a bunch of super-talented male instrumentalists, such as Ryan Tilby and Ryan Shupe. (I just had to make sure that I wasn't confusing their names; there really are that many Ryans!) The three primary female soloists, however, are great. Sarah Sample is good, but a little generic. Debra Fotheringham has a powerful voice and amazing range. When I went to see Cherie Call's CD release concert in March, I was sad to see Debra had a ring on her finger. And the last singer is Cherie Call, who is of course my favorite, but she's only my favorite when she's singing her own songs.


The Lower Lights concert was held at the Masonic temple, which was an interesting, intimate place. It was a far cry from where the Piano Guys concert was, at the Energy Solutions Arena, formerly known as the Delta Center. (Why'd they have to go and make the name twice as long?) The Piano Guys tickets had been purchased months ago, because my aunt and cousin from Delta wanted to go and invited me and my mom as well. At the beginning of the show, I was thinking it just didn't work--all I could hear was a muffled cacaphony; that music just didn't work in such a huge area. But then the sound guy woke up and it got better.

I find it strange that the Piano Guys filled such a huge arena. First of all, I think the Piano Guys are extremely talented, and their mashups are incredible, but I think they're a little overrated. There are lots of piano and cello virtuosos, although most of them aren't as creative. I'm surprised that classical-ish music can fill a stadium. (They sold concessions for the concert, but the beer stands were closed.) Second, I think it's weird Jon Schmidt has done world tours, when he's practically a neighbor, just living in Bountiful. He performed at several South Davis Junior High assemblies when I was there. I think he was on the high council in my YSA stake a few years ago. And last year at a Cherie Call concert on Temple Square, he was sitting right behind us.

I am glad that Alex Boyé didn't make an appearance, because I find him annoying. I feel like the Church uses him a lot to show we are diverse--but it's not diversity if you use the same person over and over.

Last year, Jan Terri released a new album called No Rules, which included her own version of "Ave Maria." She recorded it as a dance number because she had a voice instructor tell her it couldn't be done. Her music video of the song debuted yesterday. I put it on Facebook briefly, but then I took it down. With everyone sharing thoughtful videos to #ShareGoodness and #SharetheGift, I thought it would be in poor taste. Although the messages of peace and love in the video are the essence of the gospel, the half-naked Gabriel and the Mary and Joseph dance party are a little blasphemous. Sacrilege aside, it was a typical hilarious Jan Terri video--but I think the ridiculousness in this one was deliberate, unlike the others. (I also don't approve of the language in the scene after the credits, but no one seems to bat an eye when Taylor Swift sings it on the radio.)

One thing that bugs me about Christmas songs is the tradition of singing "Silent Night" at the end of meetings. I guess it may be the most peaceful Christmas song, but by no means is it the best. I like "It Came upon the Midnight Clear" and several others more. Another recent tradition has been to close church meetings with "Joy to the World" on the piano and organ. "Joy to the World" may be the least interesting of the 14 Christmas songs in the hymnbook (with the exception of "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks," which nobody sings). Not to mention that the lyrics of "Joy to the World" are the least Christmassy Christmas lyrics ever.

I had to give one of the prayers in church today. That's a little nerve-wracking when your bishop's dad is the presiding authority, and your bishop's last name is Eyring.

No comments:

Post a Comment