Sunday, December 6, 2015

Bringing out the tapes

This week, I've been thinking about the way media consumption has changed.

When I'm on my own computer, I'll usually listen to the music files I have on my computer--usually in a shuffle playlist with everything I care to listen to, but sometimes my various holiday playlists as well. I'm not on my own computer as often anymore, because I don't have homework and I have better things to do than YouTube and silly websites. When I'm at work, I use Pandora and Spotify. (I make good use of Pandora's "I'm tired of this track" feature, and I switch to Spotify when I run out of skips. Spotify has a disproportionate amount of alcohol commercials. They clearly don't know this market. Sam Adams commercials are especially annoying.)

I still buy CDs. If I own a CD, I can listen to it as a CD, or I can simply listen to the digital files by ripping it to my computer and having Google Play upload it. I don't have to choose, because I can have both. I've listened to CDs more since I moved up here and have been commuting to work, since I listen in my car. (Surprisingly, one of my favorite albums that I've purchased from 2015 was Fall Out Boy's American Beauty/American Psycho.)

However, last month my CD player quit working, and I haven't gotten it to work since then. However, I won't really know whether it works or not until spring, because it doesn't like to work during cold weather. I find this a little unfortunate, because I've bought several Christmas CDs, yet I haven't listened to them as CDs, only as digital files.

It makes me wonder if I should buy any CDs at all anymore. This week, Google Play had three free Christmas albums--Kelly Clarkson, Mariah Carey, and Blake Shelton--so I had to get them to improve my Christmas playlist. (At the moment of this writing, they're still free, but I don't know how long that will be.) I also bought Walk the Moon's Talking Is Hard when they had it on sale for ninety-nine cents.

Anyway, in the absence of a working CD player, I looked through our family's leftover collection of tapes, since my car is old enough to have a tape deck. Most of it isn't stuff I'd care to listen to, but I was looking for some nostalgic Christmas music. I found one tape that I put in--it was mediocre at best, but I was surprised when it was playing along and suddenly my mom began singing "I Am a Child of God"! I remember those days when, if you wanted to record something, tapes were the way to go.

It's easy to be nostalgic and miss those things--but there's a reason that mixtapes and tape recorders are obsolete, because they really are cumbersome. I thought about making mixtapes for my car, but I have a tape deck adapter, so it would just be easier to make a playlist on my phone and use that.

This was terribly uninteresting. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment