Sunday, February 19, 2017

Not interesting this week

Valentine's Day was this week, which is really a rather boring holiday if you're single. And I bet that even if you aren't single, is still relatively boring.

I spent Valentine's night playing my Valentine playlist and cleaning the fridge. Romantic, right? My Valentine's Day playlist is my shortest but third best, after Halloween and Christmas.

During the season, though, I was able to fulfill my holiday bucket list, meaning that between January 15 and February 14, I wore heart clothing, went on a date, made valentines, received a valentine (thanks!), and gave valentines. I also consumed conversation hearts, chocolates, chocolate covered strawberries, red velvet cake, and red velvet cupcakes. I have some unusual plans in the works to fulfill my St. Patrick's Day bucket list.

I was happy that this week, the snow had melted enough for me to go trail running again, the first time in three months! Only on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, which isn't my favorite, but it's still a trail. It dries faster. On Monday, it was very short, and very muddy. My trail shoes are rather new; I've only worn them a few times, so I was a little disappointed to get them so muddy, but it makes me feel more official that way. Saturday, I ran from Tunnel Springs Park to a neighborhood above the Capitol, six miles round trip, including portions of the trail where I'd never been before. (I was too lazy to run from my house, which would have made it more than eight miles.) Trails aren't that interesting in February, because everything is dead. But it was still better than streets.

After I got to the neighborhood, it was a little daunting to look at the hill I had to climb up again. That's why I mostly look at the ground when I'm going up, so I don't get discouraged. But it was still less of a climb than North Canyon.

I also had to spend a lot of money this week. First, I had to pay to have my car fixed. It was probably about the worth of the car, but still cheaper than getting an entirely new one. I kind of feel like I have bragging rights that my car is twenty-two years old, even if it has its issues.

I also went to get my eyes checked, and I had to pay for new glasses, which I don't have. I was amazed how expensive Standard Optical was. Of course, I second guess myself (which I do with everything): should I have gone elsewhere? Should I have bought different glasses? But I will have had the experience.

Later this summer, my family will be visiting Niagara Falls. When I went as a kid, you didn't need a passport, but you do now, so I had to go get one. I stood in the line for an hour and a half. It was so slow.

Our cat has gotten a lot healthier, but we still have to give her pills. I thought it would get easier, as the cat would get used to it and I would get better at it. But it only got worse. She even hissed at me this week, which she has never done before. She hisses at children and dogs, but never me. I think I figured out the trick is to put the pill on her wet food (which she loves, and which we never gave her before). All this trouble just for a cat's thyroid. I've become that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment