Sunday, June 25, 2017

More cherries and odds and ends.

I had a lot of less usual things going on this week.

On Monday, my ward had FHE at our bishop's house, so I decided to take the opportunity to ride my bike there. I think it was the first time I'd been on my bike in two years. And surprisingly, I was able to go up a steep portion that I couldn't go up last time. Maybe all my running conditioning let me bike uphill? But I would think they're different muscles. Anyway, it was really fun. I love having the wind blow in my face while I'm going downhill effortlessly. I'm just not very good at biking, so it's hard to get out often when I live on a hill.

My grandparents have season tickets to Center Point Legacy Theater, and every month they take a different person to a play with them. Tuesday was my turn; I had chosen 1776 because there just isn't that much Fourth of July drama. It was enjoyable, but a little salty for my taste. (You know what I mean by salty, but I think it's funny that in Colossians 4:6, it admonishes to "let your speech be . . . seasoned with salt," with basically the opposite meaning!) I would say more about the play, but I often feel corny reviewing things on this blog, and I'm a little short on time.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I had at least three things I wanted to do: pick goatheads, bake with cherries, and go running. But I only had time each night for two. So on Wednesday it was picking goatheads and making a chocolate cherry tart.
Goodbye, evil plant!

I've passed this cat many times before, and I couldn't resist petting it. It's less cute but more muscular than my own.

This tart with a chocolate crust has been my very favorite cherry thing I've made. This is a terrible picture of it.
 Then Thursday was running and making cherry strudel.
Sego lilies!



I made two logs of this cherry strudel, and my dad ate the equivalent of one log. Oh well. He often isn't very enthusiastic about all the things I cook.

Friday I had to go out to Sandy for the wedding reception of my old roommate Jordan. It was good to see him, but I always feel weird talking much to the bride or groom at receptions because I know they have a million things going through their minds, so why should they talk to me? It was also good to see a few other people from that era of my life. Jordan was a good roommate, because our other roommates were bros--nice but insincere--and a wannabe hipster who started out great but decided he was too good for us.

And this will show you how pathetic I am, but I was pleased that the reception was close to a Shopko, since all the Shopkos close to me closed, and they have some of the best Fourth of July candy. They're the only store that has patriotic Tootsie Roll Pops, which are one of my favorites. See? Pathetic.

On Saturday I ran about 10.75 miles. As I was running up a trail, a mountain biker came down and called me a name that wasn't mine. He then realized I wasn't him, so he stopped and asked my name. A little later, after I had turned around and was going down, he came back up and saw me and said hi and remembered my name! I'm glad other people are friendly and extroverts so I don't have to be.

Then today, Sunday, I went with my family out to Delta for the homecoming of my cousin. He did a great job. I was surprised that their ward program had tacky quotes on the bottom of each page. I would be fine with scriptures or General Authority quotes--but not cheesy sayings with dubious gospel support.
Who says we should sit in silence, especially for such an arbitrary amount of time? "Buy a lock"? Really? And I don't think our blessings necessarily correlate to our stress.
Umm...

That's terrible theology! You just wanted to make an acronym. You should pray for strength to act, not to be acted upon.

 Then I came home and brought out the cherries again. They're starting to get moldy, so we're freezing what's left.
This baked cherry omelet was yummy.

Cherry chipotle salsa is tasty and gorgeous with a little kick. I made it last year without pureeing it, and I really like it better this way. And when it's pureed, it means the worms are pureed too!

No comments:

Post a Comment