Sunday, March 11, 2018

Marchy March

Sometimes I don't know why people keep coming to this blog, because it's always the same. Running, cats, holiday food. This week is no exception.

I'm trying to diversify my activities, so I bought a pool pass. I was able to use what I learned in my Swimming for Non-Swimmers class in 2013. But I only went swimming once this week. I have had a sniffy nose, so I haven't wanted to spread it around in case it's contagious; and the lap pool was closed for competitions half of the week; and I still have a little bit of fungus on my arms. (That sounds grosser than it is.)

After my swimming, I had to go to Dunkin' Donuts for a review. That location was very dirty, just as it was when I went in October. And since there are a lot of homeless people around, there are a lot of impatient signs posted. I also had to stop at Trader Joe's, since that's the closest location. It was surprisingly busy for the middle of a weekday. I have my fingers crossed that one comes closer. I've heard Trader Joe's described as a glorified junk food store, and it's true; they have all sorts of outlandish holiday treats. At the same time, though, whenever I go there, I feel like buying lots of healthy food, like fresh produce and nuts. They also have a great selection of veggie burgers, my favorite food.

My ward had an evening with a relationship coach, and there was a Q&A session. There were lots of opinions, sometimes contradictory, from lots of people, including some who go on and on without making any sense. At one point, the speaker said that women still like men doing gentlemanly things. Some girls I don't know next to me began mumbling statements of disagreement. I feel like I have a quandary. With some women, if I don't open the door for them, I'm an inconsiderate, unchivalrous jerk. And with some, if I do open the door, I'm a sexist, condescending jerk. I can't win!

One of Jimmy the cat's habits this week has been that he wants to sit on my lap, but he doesn't want me to touch him. One time, he was sitting on my laptop's keyboard, so to discourage him, I began brushing him, which he didn't like. He didn't like it so much that he kept attacking my arm. I was on my side, so I put my arm behind me, and he came around to the other side so he could attack it again. But most of the time he's very affectionate. Having a cat is like having a teddy bear come to life. I'm astonished at the amount of people who harbor an intense hatred of cats, but I don't need those people in my life.
It's fine, I was just going to sit here all night anyway.
 On Tuesday, there was still lots of snow around, and I decided to go running on the Legacy Parkway Trail, which is flat and paved. But I was not feeling well that run. Maybe it was the Shamrock Shake I had for lunch? The snow was gone from all the path, but there were some significant puddles.

The next day, instead of running, I took my bike down to that same path. It was enjoyable, and easy. My Fitbit says my heart rate never exceeded 68 bpm, and my resting heart rate is around 50. So I didn't get many extra calories. I wanted to go to the Bountiful Pond, since I've never been, but the dirt trail was too muddy.
I enjoy the interpretive signs they have at trailheads along the route, so I had a goal of one last sign I wanted to read in Centerville, but somehow I missed it and ended up in or near Farmington before I turned around. I went a total of seventeen miles, a new record--again, very easy.

On Wednesdays, I've been attending two different tutoring sessions for Tongan students. At the first one this week, the missionary in charge was helping a student and asked me, "What do you know about geology?" If you know me, you might think I was jumping up and down for joy. But if you really know me, you would know that I never jump up and down for joy, because I'm not very emotive. At the second one, I helped a kid with percentages. I showed him cross-multiplication and decimals. 

At Christmas, my boss got me a seasonal cookbook, so on Thursday I made green mac 'n' cheese, which used peas, broccoli, and pureed spinach. I liked that it was vibrantly green without any food coloring.
Yes, I eat my food over a newspaper like a dog. I also had corned beef and Irish soda bread from Trader Joe's.
I've created new rules about when and how much candy I can buy, since it's gotten excessive, but I had to break them to buy my all-time favorite holiday candy, See's St. Patrick's Day potato, which looks like a potato and tastes great. During this time of lots and lots of mint, it's nice to have something unique. I like these even more than Caramel Apple Sugar Babies and Candy Cane Tootsie Roll Pops.

 Jimmy also sat on my computer again. He made a very long Facebook post and then posted it, and as he was typing, he watched the cursor roll across the screen. He even turned my screen sideways and zoomed way out.

After an interview on Friday, I stopped at RubySnap Cookies in Salt Lake. I had never been, because their menu online shows no seasonal cookies. But then I found out last month that they do have seasonal ones, so I got their lime cookie. I love mint, but it doesn't need to be the only green flavor at this time of the year.

Two years ago, I bought some material for a St. Paddy's Day pillowcase, but I didn't make it until now. I still don't have any pillowcases for Valentine's Day, Easter, or Pioneer Day.
Here's the thing. I know four-leaf clovers are not an Irish symbol. But I'm an American, and in America, we celebrate St. Paddy's Day with four-leaf clovers.
As I think about those Tongan kids who struggle with basic math, and a friend who is currently going through a very difficult time after living a very difficult life, I realized how privileged and blessed I have been. I almost feel guilty. So I try to help where I can. But maybe I don't do enough. I do have a good life, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment