Sunday, April 15, 2018

Rejected Facebook posts

This blog is really the place for me to post things that are rejects from Facebook. I used to post a lot more things on Facebook (especially 2010/2011), and now when I look back, I cringe at how awkward or corny those things were.

Also, it is totally obnoxious when people constantly brag about how perfect their lives are: their myriad vacations, their perfect bodies, their fashionable clothes, their gorgeous spouses, etc. When I'm blogging about my life in general, it seems less bragging, since I'm discussing the less glamorous parts--and if people don't want to hear about it, they don't have to read it.

Not that I have anything to brag about, especially this week. So here are a few thoughts:
  • Ever since my grandparents' story was featured on it, I've been reading the blog Keepapitchinin. This week there was a post of George Q. Cannon's advice on keeping a journal. I really like keeping a journal, and I have an entry for every day since December 23, 2014. (On the rare occasions I have forgotten to write, I made up for it the next day.) After spending four years in the historical field, I really came to appreciate journals. I love that I can look back and see what I was up to at any given time. I have a good memory, but even I forget things, and it's nice to have a reminder. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to keep a journal; you can do handwritten or electronic; you can write emotionally or strictly factual; mundane things will be more interesting than you think years from now. Some advice I do have, both for your personal life and for future readers, is to put first and last names of everyone involved. Sometimes I regret not putting in names of people from my mission, and as a historical researcher I was frustrated by only partial names. This blog functions as a journal of sorts, but I like having more than one record. There are some things that are worthwhile in the journal but not the blog, and vice versa.
  • This week I saw the Leonardo museum's models of SLC buildings. I was impressed.
The temple's a no-brainer, but they also got the Assembly Hall, the seagull monument, the Tabernacle, and the visitors' centers.
  • Among trail runners, I'm not that good, but I am glad that seven or eight miles is no longer difficult for me. Street running is exercise, but trail running is a hobby.



This "rock solid buddy" also said "keep me or rehide me."


I like springbeauties. I used to think these were phlox, but now I'm 90 percent certain they're springbeauties.
  •  Desserts are officially out of season, but be on the lookout for some reviews.
  •  A year from now, it will still be Easter season, and I'm excited for that. But it's a bit premature to be excited for that, because between now and then, there will also be Fourth of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, all of which I like more than late Easters.
  • This week's unusual vegetable dish was green pea custard, which was decent, even though I messed up the recipe. It's worth trying again, though not as good as tomato zucchini cobbler. (Two years ago I made mushroom asparagus pie and quite liked it. But then a year ago I made a variation of parsnip wheat berry pie, which was not good, and so now I'm scared to do the mushroom asparagus again.)
  • I had to fill out taxes this week. I have found not one but two songs about Tax Day. One is pro-tax. The other is weally anti-tax.
  • While I was searching for those songs, YouTube reminded me of this gem my coworker showed me last fall.
  • When I heard of Barbara Bush's failing health, all I could think of was Barbara Brush.
    Courtesy

No comments:

Post a Comment