Sunday, December 23, 2018

Why is it all for Christmas?

I just love Christmas. Even though it's only my second favorite, it's still a wonderful time.

My nephews (and their parents) have arrived in time for the holiday, and I have enjoyed spending time with them (when I'm not working overtime πŸ™), going sledding, and playing my official Christmas playlist. I made gingerbread pancakes, and Nathaniel (8) made his into "Rudolph the White-Nosed Reindeer."

While I was writing this, Franklin (10) was saying we keep our fireplaces on for Christmas, and then Santa comes and gets burned. My sister said, "Good thing he's magic," and Nathaniel said, "He's not magic, he's just a fat man who's died 120 times."

Here is a visual representation of the nine holidays I celebrate and where they rank:
πŸ¦ƒπŸŽ„πŸŽƒ . . πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ . 🐣 . 🐝 . . πŸ•›☘ . . πŸ’˜

(Did you know there are at least eighteen heart emojis? Why do we need so many?)

There are many self-proclaimed Christmas lovers, and I probably like Easter even more than most of those people like Christmas, and you can see how far down Easter is.

I give you all this introduction to convince you that I'm not a Scrooge. (I think it's unfair to call people "Scrooge" or "Grinch" because it ignores their redemption in the stories, but you know what I mean.)

But even with as great as Christmas is, I think it's excessive.

For example: there are lots of Christmas parties. Workplace Christmas parties, ward Christmas parties, school Christmas parties, family Christmas parties, friend Christmas parties, public Christmas parties, and more. It's a very busy time of year.

But why is it so concentrated into one season? Why isn't it spread out more evenly? Your work could make Halloween the big party, your ward could have a major Easter party, schools could have big St. Patrick's Day parties, your family party could be on the Fourth of July, your friends could have a big New Year's party, the city could have a big Valentine's Day party. And then you'd have more time for Christmas shopping, wrapping presents, caroling, etc.

(Six years ago, I worked for BYU Studies, and rather than a Christmas party, they had an Epiphany party, and it was held after Epiphany. It was the middle of January, which was brilliant. But it still had a strong Christmas theme, which was super weird. Why not just have a winter party?)

It applies to other things as well: concerts, festivals, decorations, candy, symbols, and so on.

I own more than 1,350 Christmas songs. My next biggest playlist is Easter, at only 174 songs. Why is there such a discrepancy?

You say, "Well, there aren't many songs for other holidays." That's no excuse. There are lots of new Christmas songs made each year, but few for the others.

(Speaking of, let me make a plug here. There were many big-name artists who released Christmas albums this year: Ingrid Michaelson, John Legend, Jessie J, the Monkees, and more. But my favorite Christmas album of 2018 is one I never heard of: JD McPherson's Socks. It's a great album of ten original songs, all with a 50s vibe but still fresh and new. I highly recommend it.)

Over the years, Christmas has assimilated various symbols and traditions: trees, snowflakes, snowmen, bells, poinsettias, wreaths, holly, mistletoe, candles, lights, candy canes, gingerbread men, stars, stockings, nativities, ornaments, polar bears, Santa, elves, reindeer, sleighs, garlands, bows, presents, nutcrackers, angels, and more.

I realize all of this is part of what makes Christmas so great. But maybe we should spread the love out a little bit. Why is it all for Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment