Sunday, May 19, 2019

The birds

I only worked four days this week because I had other things I had to do, and it's easier to take a full day off rather than a partial day.

On Monday, I had an interview in Lehi, but I didn't get the job; but I don't know if I wanted it anyway. Recently I decided that I wanted to add the America songs from Schoolhouse Rock to my Fourth of July playlist. But the songs are unavailable on streaming services or as MP3s, but I found out that Graywhale in Sandy happened to have a used CD of America Rock, so I was happy to stop by on my way home to get it.

On Tuesday evening, I had some time for a short run. When I don't have much time, my favorite trail is the Woodbriar Trail. It's one of the prettiest trails, if not the prettiest trail, around. It's also very difficult and steep, which means it's a good workout in a short amount of time, and it's not someplace I want to go if I'm exerting myself for a long time.

I had noticed an unofficial side trail off the main trail, so I thought I would see where it went.
This is the beginning of the main trail. Western waterleaf, which grows under the trees, is in bloom now.

Arrowleaf balsamroot, seen here, is a spectacular flower, but less spectacular than its cousin the mulesears.
 The "trail" didn't go anywhere significant, and it kind of faded away. It looked like portions were once a Jeep trail, and the other parts might have been a game trail. It got really steep. I don't feel a need to go back, but I was glad to satiate my curiosity. Oh, and I saw some wild turkeys.

I also saw a moth that looked like a hummingbird, after I had seen one in our garden earlier than night.

Here is one of those Depression-era ridges constructed for erosion control.
 It was a lovely May evening. Too bad our other May evenings were marred with rain.

On Thursday morning, I returned to the main trail. I haven't been there since the fall, so I wasn't entirely in shape, so I couldn't run without stopping. But I hope to return to my full stamina.

This is an example of a picture I took so I could have an excuse to stop.
I didn't work on Thursday because my old boss at the Church History Department is going to be a mission president, so they had a going-away program for him. His family came and got stuck in the elevator! I found one of the last empty seats in the room, and a woman leaned over to introduce herself. Then I realized that she was my boss from BYU Studies, my first internship! It was good to catch up with her and others I used to work with. Some of my interactions were awkward, because I'm awkward. But then I realized maybe it isn't entirely my fault. Maybe the other person also has some awkwardness that contributes to the situation. I also realized I am perhaps too dismissive when I describe my This Is the Place job. My old boss got a special framed picture that also pictured some of his books about missionary work, and I was glad to see that they included our book that just came out.

At work, we have lots of magpies (and other wildlife) in the park. On Friday, a bird crashed into a window at the press, where I was working. I opened the window to see if it was all right; I saw it sitting on the ground, blinking its eyes, but I didn't know if it was hurt or not. Next thing I knew, a magpie had grabbed it in its beak, then flew a few yards away and started pecking at it! It was sad to hear the bird chirping. I didn't know magpies did that. But I didn't know what we were going to do with an injured bird (if it was in fact injured), so I was glad that the magpie made the decision for us.

Remember last week when I showed you that poor-quality patriotic decoration ("Land where my father died")? Well, I found another one. "The American Spirt lives forver." Don't spend your money on this garbage, folks.

Instead, spend it on worthwhile decorations, like I do. If it doesn't have any words, it can't have any typos.

No comments:

Post a Comment