Sunday, December 22, 2019

Merry and bright

There have been many holiday parties at work over the last couple of weeks. I have wondered whether there are more parties during the holidays, or whether there are just so many parties because this is the time of year when lots of people actually work at Sundance.

Anyway, one of the parties this week was a white elephant gift exchange. When I bought tickets to that P!nk concert, I got several free CDs, so I used one as my gift. There were some decent gifts, and this was one of those games where you can steal presents, but they can only be stolen three times.

One of the gifts was a set of USB Christmas lights, and I knew I had to have them. You see, I already have two little USB Christmas trees, so the Christmas lights would really be more appropriate for me than for anybody else. So I stole them from somebody, but then somebody stole them from me, but I stole them back, and then they were out of play! So now I am the proud owner of a little USB Christmas light set. (They're also an iPhone charger, but I don't have an iPhone. I really don't get how people are OK with the fact that Apple designs stuff so you have to buy more from them. Oh, and as I type this, my brother complains about Apple products. They are the worst!)
That's my USB Christmas tree as well, but I didn't have it plugged in at the time of this picture (it has green lights).
On Wednesday, there was a holiday brunch. Many of these Sundance events have cardboard pitchers of coffee, so I was delighted when they had hot chocolate as well this time. But I wasn't delighted once I tried it. When I was a kid, I remember hearing The Polar Express in school, and it said that the hot chocolate was as thick as a melted candy bar. I remember thinking that sounded terrible. Well, this hot chocolate was as thick as a melted candy bar, and it was terrible! I don't like watery hot chocolate, but I honestly think this was worse. I'm not convinced that it wasn't just hot fudge sauce.

Last year, I would go running in the neighborhoods surrounding the office, and I was mad at Park City for not having sidewalks. But now that we're more centrally located in the business part, I can appreciate the pedestrian trail they have, which has tunnels with charming artwork. (One of  the tunnels has 1930s-style cartoon characters, and they're simultaneously quaint and creepy.) They do a good job of keeping the path clear of ice and snow. In the past, I have twisted my ankle on trail runs, and I even went to sports medicine to ask what I could do to prevent that. But I do think I have strong ankles, because recently I stepped on a hard piece of ice and twisted my ankle, but I wasn't hurt.

On Thursday, I drove the shuttle van to Park City. I didn't want to, but I figure no one wants to, so I had to take my turn. Normally driving a van shouldn't be blog worthy, but for me it is. I'm a deeply insecure and self-conscious person, so the whole time I thought everyone was judging me. At the end of the day, the parking lot was still mostly full, and I had to have help backing up the van. I was embarrassed. And then one of the passengers said, "Now drive as fast as you can down the canyon, because I have a plane to catch." Ugh! I hate it when others make their problems my problems. But I don't drive fast, especially in a giant van that doesn't belong to me.

That same day, my brother and his family came into town for the holidays! Yay!

On Friday, we ordered pizza and watched It's a Wonderful Life. My mom ordered the pizza on her phone, and when we got the pizza, we were amused at what the label said. She double checked, and sure enough, the confirmation email called her "Annoying." I wonder what the workers thought when they put the label on!

Today, I attended church twice, first at the combined YSA wards and then at the family ward. Both meetings ended with "Silent Night." You know, "Silent Night" doesn't have to be the closing song of every single Christmas event. The lyrics aren't even very good!

Then I went with my nephews to go sledding at the Eaglewood Golf Course. They went sledding the last two days as well, but I had to work (from home). There are signs forbidding certain activities, and they prohibit tubing and "sleigh riding," but I think they leave it purposely ambiguous by not specifically saying "sledding." We don't golf, but the golf course plays an important part of our family holiday traditions—July 3 fireworks and Christmas sledding.


This is our third Christmas in a row where they've come here, and I love it. I love showing them a proper Christmas, wearing my festive clothing, baking goodies, blasting my Christmas playlist (I'm now up to 1,407 songs), playing games, and being together. 🎄🎅

No comments:

Post a Comment