Sunday, May 10, 2020

More of the same

Each week is basically the same these days, so I don't always know how to say something that is different or new.

My mom is a teacher, and each teacher was given a day to clean out their classroom. But my mom is switching from third grade to fifth grade, so my dad, my brother, and I all went to her school to help her move her stuff from one room to another. It would have been impossible for one person to finish in one day; it took four of us five and a half hours. My mom was sad that it was like the sadness of the end of the school year, but without the excitement of summer because there's still online school.

This week the snow was sufficiently melted that I could run up North Canyon. In fact, I ran up there five days in a row, Tuesday through Saturday. It is my favorite trail, but there are practical considerations. Evening runs are prettier and possibly even more comfortable (even though the temperature is warmer) because the sunlight is less direct. However, it is more convenient to have my running done early in the day, and it also makes me sleep better. But most of the trails around here aren't very shady, making them uncomfortable during the daytime. (I'm not a morning person, so early runs are out of the question.) The exceptions are North Canyon and Mueller Park. But Mueller Park is always busy; a slow day in Mueller Park is like a regular day, or even a busy day, in North Canyon. So I'm staying away from Mueller Park for purposes of social distancing. And that leaves North Canyon!


On Wednesday, there was a forest service truck at the trailhead (meaning at the end of the dirt road, which I count as part of the trail). When I came down the canyon, they had installed a new sign! Which is good, because the old one was in bad shape. 
 Speaking of things in bad shape, the winter hasn't been kind to the trail. It's a lot rockier than I remember, with large roots sticking out worse than they used to. It is sad to see erosion taking its toll.

On Thursday morning, my dad wanted to go up the Woodbriar Trail, so I went up with him and my brother.
Tufted evening primrose! It smells like Froot Loops.

Overlooking City Creek Canyon.


I did my usual run on Friday morning, and in the evening I went with my nephews up the Woodbriar Trail again. It really is prettier in the evening, and this trail is the prettiest spot in all of North Salt Lake, especially in May. We heard a woodpecker, and we were able to see it in the trees! That's the first time I have knowingly seen one.

Nathaniel and Franklin. Preston is on the left in the distance because he avoids sunlight because it hurts his skin.
Each day in North Canyon, I have gone just a little bit farther. My Saturday run was eight miles round trip. With all this time and opportunity, I hope to increase my running distances until I can reach where I was in 2017 or even better.
This was the view where I turned around, a half-mile past Rudy's Flat.
Here are awards for all my regular trails:
Most convenient: Wild Rose
Easiest: Wild Rose or Bonneville Shoreline Trail
Best trail condition (fewest rocks, etc.): Bonneville Shoreline Trail
Prettiest: Woodbriar
Least trafficked: Woodbriar
Shadiest: Mueller Park
Best workout: Woodbriar
Best overall: North Canyon

For Mother's Day, I got my mom some garden plants, including catnip, since I inherited my love of cats from my mom. We gave one of its leaves to Jimmy, who pushed it around on the floor with his face before gobbling it up. He kept rolling around on the floor. And then he licked the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment