Sunday, June 21, 2020

The pursuit of happiness

When I think about the things that I like, I really just like happiness.

I like nature, kitties, kitsch, wildflowers, holidays, camp, colors, whimsy, sugar, and nostalgia.

I don't like violence, fighting, bad words, or gross things.

Some of you might recall that when I was an awkward teenager (instead of an awkward adult), I was really into the macabre. In tenth grade, I had to study for a spelling test that had the word "cemetery," and I thought that was my kind of word. So for years I kind of defined myself by darkness.

But even then, I think deep down I really just liked happiness. I wanted to be a vampire of the Sesame Street or Munsters variety, and all that stuff was connected to Halloween—which really is a happy thing. We say "Happy Halloween," not "Horrible Halloween."

In the last few years, I have fallen in love with the obscure band the Free Design, who sang songs about kites, springtime, ivy, leaves, dolphins, bubbles, butterflies, umbrellas, and more. That is how I would rather define myself. Happiness, not darkness.

Now, since I like joy so much, I get frustrated when people (criminals or bullies) do things to disrupt that joy. I'm trying to work on being more charitable to those people. I don't have to wish for bad things to happen to them, but I can hope they experience adverse consequences for their bad behavior.

The real world is far too wonderful and fascinating to spend much time in fictional worlds. Remember that North Canyon mushroom I've been telling you about? It was broken this week, but that meant I got to see some kind of circular structure on the inside of it.
 I also got to see snow there on Wednesday, which was not there the day before. It's a good thing I did my 12.7-mile run on Tuesday instead of muddy Wednesday.

I took my youngest nephew, Nathaniel, on a three-hour, eight-mile hike on Friday. I hope to pass on this fantastic hobby to the rising generation.
It's too bad my finger photobombed this selfie 🙄

I spent a few hours yesterday picking cherries at my sister's house. How utterly fantastic that we can grow our own sweet fruit! Our neighbors are planning on cutting down their apple tree, which hangs over into our yard, and I think that is a tremendous tragedy.

On Monday, I used my fingers to scoop up cat hair that had accumulated under my bed, which is one of Jimmy's favorite spots.
All the shedding is not ideal, but he's so adorable that it's worth it. He often sleeps on my bed, and it's so endearing to see the silhouette of his ears in the darkness and hear his breathing when I wake up in the middle of the night (which has been a daily occurrence lately). Some of you don't like cats, but you don't know what it's like to have him sit on your chest and purr and rub his head against your face.

I envisioned this post being more profound and thought provoking than it ended up being. But that's OK, 'cause I like lighthearted frivolity.

No comments:

Post a Comment