Sunday, April 4, 2021

Those April Events

 My parents went to Capitol Reef this week, but I had to stay behind because of school. So I had the house to myself. It did kind of feel sad not to have any kind of human interaction. Jimmy was the only other "person" at home. But lately, he hasn't been coming into my room or on my bed like he used to. I ordered some arthritis food for him, so hopefully he will feel like jumping up more often again.

The beginning of the week was kind of hectic, because I had to finish an essay, and once that was done, I had to catch up on everything else that got pushed aside. I'm not really satisfied with the essay, but it's done. If I'm writing about something that really interests me, I can be a good writer, but when it's an assignment, I'm not great at it.

Thursday was April Fool's Day. My parents came home from Capitol Reef, and I had an idea for a prank. My grandpa loves pie and hates pickles. The Sunglow Cafe in Bicknell, Utah, sells pickle pies, so I asked my parents to pick one up. We took it to my grandparents and served it to them without telling my grandpa what it was. We were all waiting for a reaction as he took a bite. But he liked it! When we told him what it was, he said it was the only kind of pickle he likes. I thought he would like it, but he would never try it if he knew what it was.


I am sad when Easter is over, so I'm sad it was this early this year. But at least it wasn't in March! And next year, it will be April 17. 

Spring seems to be a little later this year; I haven't seen any glacier lilies or springbeauties yet, which are the first wildflowers. About a year ago, I discovered the Hell Canyon Trail near Ensign Peak, which was constructed sometime between 2015 and 2020. I decided to go there on Friday to see what it was like. It was a lot of switchbacks. But I didn't see where it ends, so I'll have to go back sometime to see where it goes. For some reason, running seemed harder this weekend. 

Blogger has added the pictures backwards. AGAIN.





I am also so happy to see apricot blossoms this year. We had, like, two blossoms last year and no apricots. So I'm looking forward to the July harvest.

My first cousin once removed, Adam, asked if he could come to our house for conference/Easter, and he brought his fiancée, Cam. My mom gave them Easter candy in Easter baskets. She gave me edible Easter grass, but then she forgot and told Cam that her grass was edible. So she was putting plastic grass in her mouth! *awkward*

We also colored eggs, and I colored more than my share. I always enjoy coloring them more than I think I will.


Here are some of the thoughts I had from general conference:

  • I knew we would have Easter-themed talks, but I didn't expect a bunny-themed talk.
  • Elder Palmer was my mission president, and now he's in the presidency of the seventy. I had never heard the stories he told before (at least I don't remember them).
  • President Oaks basically said you don't always have to vote Republican, but without actually saying that. Hooray!
  • It was odd, however, to have such a US-centric talk after such an international morning session.
  • I took notes on my phone, and autocorrect wasn't helping. It changed "Taniela" to "Tanisha," and it changed "Aburto" to "Abortion"!
  • I'm sure Elder Teh must get annoyed with autocorrect always changing his name to The.
  • Yay, we single people matter! Take that, overbearing YSA leaders!
  • Surprising to hear so many Europe temples!

For Easter breakfast, I made carrot-cake pancakes, which I invented last year (using a variation on a very versatile recipe). 

Here it is with cream cheese spread, but I'll be eating the leftovers with cream cheese frosting.

Then for Easter, I made a carrot cake with almond flour. But my mom frosted it and decorated it.


I think my very earliest memory of holiday candy is watching morning cartoons while eating my Peeps Bunnies. When I bit the ears off, I thought it made a snowman. Thus began a lifelong obsession. (It's gotten bigger in recent years, but that's because holiday candy is far more interesting now than it was when I was a kid.)

I was thinking this week that I don't have a great physique. But considering all the garbage I eat, it's not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment