Sunday, July 11, 2021

Mid-July

 On Monday, everyone had the day off for the Fourth of July, except for those of us who work in the tourism industry. I was driving the train at This Is the Place. On these hot days, we usually drive one train so the drivers can switch off and cool down. But it was so busy that we had to drive two trains, so I had to be in the hot cab all day. I couldn't help but think, "They don't pay me enough for this!" 

Apparently there was a small fire in Parleys Canyon, so all day I saw a helicopter flying around. It even came down into the park to get water from the pond by our mini train.

On Tuesday I was in the print shop, my favorite site at work. But it is across the street from the ice cream shop, so people get ice cream, then think, "Let's go into the print shop!" Ugh! Why don't they get ice cream after they go in the print shop? They bring it in, and it drips all over the floor. It has driven me crazy since 2018! This year I've been trying to stop people before they come in, but the problem is when I'm already talking to a group, and then another group comes in. I decided I wanted to make a sign to discourage ice cream. That way, it would help with the problem when I'm talking to other people, and it would seem less mean to ask them not to bring it in when there are also signs asking them not to. 

I didn't make very good signs, but they get the message across. Since we aren't actually a functioning print shop, it isn't realistic to make a perfect sign, since we don't have the resources. But I have a coworker who actually took a printmaking class, and she made some signs that were better.

These are my signs.

 
These are my coworker's signs.

(I have decided that during the Pioneer Day season, I can have ice cream that is made in Utah. So I am pro–ice cream, just anti–bringing it into the building.)

Wednesday was my day off, but I was still working—I had things I needed to do for the freelance project I was working on. I had several books I needed to consult. I wanted to make an appointment at the Church History Library, but all the available slots filled up, so I had to find other libraries. I could have gone to the University of Utah, but getting there sounded like a hassle. Instead, I looked online at what libraries had the books I needed. First I went downtown to the newly reopened Family History Library. Then I went to the Bountiful Library, which I frequented as a kid. And then I went to the Centerville library, where I got a used Halloween book for a quarter. I was able to look at all the books I needed to that way. Even if I had gone to the U, I wouldn't have been able to see all the books I needed, so this was a better way to use my time.

I got very little running in this week, thanks to the heat and spending time with my nephews. On Thursday, I took them to get ice cream. (They wanted shaved ice at the fireworks, but the line was long, so they opted to take a raincheck.) On our way, Preston (16) said, "The stereotype for someone who still lives with their parents is that they are unproductive and don't have a job. But you are very productive, and you have a good job." I said my current job isn't that good, but he said I could still afford my nice car. He asked why I still live with them. Since I have only had temporary jobs since I graduated from college, it hasn't made sense for me to move, and I said I really don't have a reason to move out. And Franklin (13) said, "And Grandma and Grandpa are awesome!" 

I love all the sunflowers that grow up everywhere every summer! I think they started earlier this year than usual. As I have said before on this blog, in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, sunflower and sagebrush were considered symbols of Pioneer Day, so it really makes me happy to see them at this time of year. One day when I was driving the train, we drove past a field of sunflowers, and I remarked how they made me happy. One of my coworkers said I seemed like the kind of person who would be happy from sunflowers. So I'm glad to know that I don't come across as grumpy.



No comments:

Post a Comment