Sunday, April 10, 2022

The spring of the leaf

 Ah, springtime!

While it was still cold at the beginning of the week, I took the time to do that necessary springtime ritual: filing taxes. Though I don't like doing the paperwork (via TurboTax), I don't really mind paying taxes, because I benefit from them. I find it strange that during WWII, it was seen as a patriotic duty—but these days, those who claim they are the most patriotic are the ones who most resent paying taxes. Huh.

Anyway, I am delighted that trail season has resumed. We are in the early part of the season, which means that the wildflowers available now are springbeauties, yellowbells, and glacier lilies.

Bonneville Shoreline Trail

Yellowbells
I have gotten good at identifying the more noticeable flowers, but I'm pleased that I can now also identify the leaves of some of the flowers before they even blossom. For example, this picture shows this year's new crop of mulesears. But I was also able to detect the decayed remnants of last year's crop (not really visible in the picture).


springbeauties

Interesting how a new trail has developed to bypass the old one, which collects water 


Glacier lilies
We haven't reached peak spring yet, but even so, it is a wonderful time of year.

I am also grateful that Easter is late this year. Easter would already be over in 2021, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2008...and so on. (I did all of those by memory.) Since my life revolves around holidays, I'm always sad when we are in periods of no holidays. So even though spring is a wonderful time in and of itself, it's kind of depressing when Easter is over.

Of course, this means that I can eat all the Easter desserts I want. In 2012 was the first time I thought of carrot cake as an Easter dessert, and I came up with that on my own. But ten years later, the association is strong, and carrot cake cookies are the flavor du jour (or rather, flavor du mois). The following interesting desserts are ones that I have had in the last few weeks. They are not all from this week, so you shouldn't worry about me. But also, you should worry about me, because I'm not showing you all the desserts I have had, just the more interesting ones.

Normal Ice Cream Carrot Cake Ice Cream...is not very good.


Kneaders carrot muffin top

Chip Cadbury Egg Cookie

Twisted Sugar carrot cake cookie

Cutler's carrot cake cookie

Coldstone Peeps shake. Since I have an incurable sweet tooth, I don't understand when people say something is "too sweet." I think I met my match here. But I still finished it all.

Sugar Fix carrot cake cookie
We have one more week for me to gorge myself on carrot sweets before the holiday is over! But, not all the carrot stuff is bad for me.
Homemade carrot soup

No comments:

Post a Comment