Sunday, July 31, 2022

Late July

 All the holidays are over, so things aren't very exciting right now.

I was off on Monday for the observed Pioneer Day holiday. But I'm of the mindset that when the holiday is over, it's over, so I already moved on. I ran up North Canyon, which gives me nostalgia for two years ago when I ran up there every day in the heat. I recently bought a new brand of trail shoes, Topo, and so far they seem to be the most comfortable I've ever had. But we'll see if I continue to feel that way.

fireweed


I was startled to see a new trail! I didn't know they were making one here. I'll have to try it sometime, but I'm also kind of sad to see the forest marred, and to see the trail get busier.

chicory, a nonnative species, but at least it's pretty
It was the last day for my brother's kids to be in town. At their request, I took them and my niece to the arcade, Nickel Mania in Murray. I went there for a YSA activity three years ago, and within the last three years they quit using actual nickels and instead used a card system. I opted not to play any games, but the kids enjoyed them. There was just something about being at an arcade on a hot summer day and the excitement of cashing in on ticket rewards that made me feel nostalgic for summer days of my own childhood.

That evening, I took my brother's kids to Deer Hollow Park, which is an amazing little park with a zipline, a zippy slide, and other fun equipment. I guess it's more of a park for bigger kids than for toddlers. 


They headed back to California on Tuesday. It's sad when they go back, but at least they remember us now, instead of a decade ago when they were tiny. I feel like I didn't get to spend as much time with them as I would have liked—when I asked if they wanted to go get ice cream or go hiking, they were involved in computer games.

The rest of the week wasn't that interesting. In previous years, I have only gone goathead picking during the month of June. But this year, I regularly go back to a few particular goathead patches, and I continue to do so. When you pull them up before they get big, they are safe enough that I can continue to pick them for the rest of the summer. I really feel like I have made a good impact on the goatheads in those areas. I am confident I have aborted hundreds of goathead plants in one area.

And yesterday I ran up North Canyon again, since it's the most amazing place.


The last week of July isn't that interesting. I'm excited for a new month tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment