Sunday, November 6, 2022

Snowvember

 To me it feels like Halloween was a long time ago already, even though it was just this week!

It wasn't an overly exciting Halloween. After work, I donned a pumpkin t-shirt and ran over to Springhill Geologic Park, a short run, since I wanted to have time doing other things on Halloween night.

I came home and donned my Gilligan costume. I have learned recently that chili is something people often serve on Halloween (there's even a song about it), so I had made chili in the slow cooker. And we had lots of leftover marshmallows from summer s'mores, so I used them to make popcorn balls, which are a Halloween tradition from days of yore. 

We had more trick-or-treaters than usual, which surprised me, but still not a ton. I watched the new movie Wendell and Wild on Netflix. It's about a troubled girl who has her own personal demons, who are literal demons with magic hair cream that can raise the dead. It was very quirky with some plot holes, but the stop-motion animation was amazing. 8/10. And also I had to watch the season finale of Halloween Baking Championship. (I often have a favorite baker each season, but I didn't this time.)

On November 1, I knew it might be my last opportunity for a trail run this season because of all the precipitation in the forecast. But I got home late, so I took my headlamp for a run on the Woodbriar Trail in the dark. Those nighttime runs are fun, but I don't do them often because there's usually enough daytime most of the year, and when there isn't enough daylight, the trails are snowy anyway. Also, nighttime running is probably less safe.


Then on Tuesday, the snow came. As a trail runner, it makes me sad. As a hydrologist*, it thrills me.

*I took a class called groundwater in college, so I'm obviously an expert.

I visited my barber on Thursday. I like this particular barber because we discuss conference talks, Church history, etc. From him I also learned that the song "Running Up That Hill," which I often think of when I'm literally running up that hill, is actually from the 1980s—I just assumed it was a new song that was meant to sound like the '80s. And I had to make a trip to Trader Joe's. I'm mad that Draper is getting one, when there's already one in Midvale. Why can't we get one up north? The Salt Lake one is too cramped and always busy!

And Saturday, I filled out my ballot for Evan McMullin, because obviously. I took down the Halloween decorations and got most of the Thanksgiving stuff up. I did this while listening to my Thanksgiving playlist, which makes me feel cozy and nostalgic. But I have listened to my Thanksgiving songs for enough Thanksgivings that they make it feel like Thanksgiving to me, but they probably wouldn't for other people. But this really is my favorite time of the year—so comforting and mellow.
I think we should phase out Pilgrims, but I'll still use them while I have them

I have had this turkey for eighteen years!


***
Now that it's November, pumpkinundation roundup includes Thanksgiving foods!

Van Leeuwen's is an ice cream company that makes truly bizarre flavors, like pizza and macaroni and cheese. I hadn't had them before, and I was surprised at how soft the ice cream is. The Van Leeuwen's Sweet Potato Marshmallow Casserole French Ice Cream is really tasty, but caramel is the dominant flavor, and that's not what I think of when I think of sweet potato casserole. But I really like the marshmallows! 7/10.
The Van Leeuwen's Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll French Ice Cream was amazing! It had a very strong cinnamon flavor with the pumpkin. But the cinnamon roll pieces were more like cookies. I have nothing against them, but I thought it was false advertising. 8/10.
I really enjoy pairing Thomas' Pumpkin Spice English Muffins with savory foods like eggs and cheese. They are lovely. 8/10.
It should tell you something that I still have these leftover Sprouts Stuffing Flavored Almonds from last year. They really do taste like stuffing, but that's not what I want when I eat almonds. I can only eat a few at a time, otherwise they're too gross. 6/10.
I have to get Trader Joe's Thanksgiving Stuffing Seasoned Kettle Chips every year, especially since I crave salt after eating so many sweet things. I enjoy them. But the bottom of the bag is not very good, when all the seasoning has accumulated. 7/10.
Trader Joe's Apple Cider Fruit Spread is so appley and tasty! 8/10.
Um. These Trader Joe's Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Spice Bagels make me glad I'm not gluten free. I usually like to eat bagels with meat and/or cheese on them. When I did that with these gluten-free bagels, it tasted like a pumpkin spice mattress topper. It was all I could do to make it through one bite. I took the meat and cheese off, then through the bagel away. And I never do that! So then I thought I'd give them another chance. I toasted one and put the apple cider fruit spread on it. Then it was edible. But still not great. 3/10.
For some reason I thought these Trader Joe's Cranberry Orange Bars would be like popsicles, but they're actually like pie. They're pretty good. 7/10.
I got the Crumbl Cornbread Honey Cake Cookie when it was fresh out of the oven, so it kind of melted and fell apart. It was OK; they have better cookies. 6/10.
I got this Trader Joe's Everything but the Leftovers Seasoning Blend last year, and the only reason I still have so much is that I want it to be special for this time of year. I love it! It makes me look forward to eating bland foods like spaghetti squash (pictured) and potatoes. I also like to mix it with olive oil and put it on popcorn. But it makes me sneeze. 9/10.
I got a RubySnap Pumpkin Whoopie Pie, which was great. 8/10. 
I got this clearance Fall Fetti Party Mix from Walmart because it had candy corn and candy pumpkins. But it was mostly popcorn coated in fake chocolate. I liked the pretzels and cereal pieces, but there just weren't enough. 4/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment