Sunday, December 18, 2022

Halfway through December, the end of a long, weird year

Many of my blog titles come from song lyrics, and usually I just leave it for people to pick up on, without explaining it. But this time, I will tell you that the lyric comes from one of my favorite new Christmas songs this year, which seems very appropriate for this particular moment.

(This year didn't seem to be as good for Christmas music, not like 2017, 2018, and 2020.)

My life is in so many weird directions right now. My current internship is set to expire in about three weeks. They told me there's an option to continue on as a part-time contractor, but not full time yet. I also had an interview this week for another part-time job, but I didn't realize it was part time when I applied. They seemed impressed with my credentials, so I could potentially do that one and my current job at the same time. And I have another interview coming up on Thursday for a full-time position, though I think I'm less qualified for that one.

Also, this week I learned that the journal I submitted my Pioneer Day article to declined my paper. They said it was well done but a better fit for two other journals. But those other journals have word limits where I would have to cut my article in half. So I submitted it to a different journal. Then if they reject it, then I will do the work to trim it for one of the other journals. (I would have submitted it to one of those first, except for the word limit.)

Last week, they read my records into the single adult ward. Then today they read them into the ward again. A few people noticed, and I quipped that either I'm so amazing I had to be welcomed twice, or I'm so forgettable that they forgot the first time. But when I moved back into the family ward back in the beginning of 2020, they never read in my records, so I guess this makes up for it.

On Monday, I attended Elf the Musical, which was fun if a little vapid. For many years I refused to watch the movie because I was overly scrupulous about the kinds of movies I watched. And for many years the heteronormative plotline might have discouraged me because it was out of my grasp, but I don't need to worry about that anymore.

Saturday my brother's family, minus my brother, arrived for Christmas. It's always fun to visit with them. My younger two niblings have enjoyed playing with Reggie, and how could they not?

I did my usual temple run yesterday, but shortly after I turned around, I knew I wouldn't make it all the way home, and I had to call my dad to pick me up. If it were March, I would have walked the five miles home, but when the temperature was in the 20s, it was much too cold for the way I was dressed.

And twice this week, I made apple crisp with the apples from our neighbors' tree, but I fiddled with the topping to make it a gingerbread crisp. I did a great job, if I do say so myself. So I guess it doesn't matter that I missed most of this week's episode of Holiday Baking Championship!


No comments:

Post a Comment